Former palace of the king of Bulgaria before the communist regime. Very nice back yard with TOBACCO cafe in it.
The National Art Gallery is situated in the former royal palace of Bulgaria. In the halls where once ministers and royalties took decisions, today you can make a historic run through the artworks of Bulgaria’s most prominent artists. Be sure to not miss the bright winter garden, dedicated to…
National Art Gallery exhibits one the best masterpieces from Bulgarian artists
“Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is the crown jewel of Sofia. It is one of the largest Eastern orthodox cathedrals in the world. Its foundation stone was laid in 1882. However, most of the construction work actually took place between 1904 and 1912.The main dome is 45 m tall and Christian Lord’s Prayer is inscribed with thin golden letters around it. The gorgeous chandeliers suspended from the domes were specially made for the church in Munich, Germany.”
“Built in 1907 by the Austrian architects Helmer & Felner, the National Theatre is one of the most ornate buildings in Sofia. The 40 metre high façade, is fronted by a large pediment, supported on six white marble columns, depicting Apollo and the muses. The twin towers that rise up behind are crowned with sculptures of the goddess Nike.The interior was destroyed by fire in 1923, and restored again six years later increasing the theatres seating capacity to over 1000. The ornate main hall has an 850 audience capacity. The stage curtain, with its mythical firebird motive from Stravinsky’s ballet, was woven by women from Panagyurishte.”
“Russian Orthodox Church. Its construction began at the end of the 19th century (the exact date is unknown, as different architectural projects alternate), and lasted for many years, consecrated in 1914 on the eve of World War I. The building was built on a plot of the Russian Embassy designed by Mikhail Preobrazhensky specifically for the needs of Russian immigrants in the capital. The murals are the work of a team of artists headed by Vasily Perminov (one of the authors of the murals in Alexander Nevski). The five small domes of the church are gilded. The central dome is 19 m high. The bells were donated by Russian Tsar Nicholas II. Initially conceived as a chapel to the Russian Embassy in Bulgaria, the temple almost immediately lost its role after 1917. After the Second Russian Revolution, priests and bishops of the so-called "Russian Abroad Church" began to serve in it, and the already established temple became the center of numerous Russian immigration in the country. After 1947, the temple was transferred to the diocese of the Moscow Patriarchate, which governs it to this day. (It is considered patriarchy or Stavropiy of this patriarchate). In terms of architecture, the temple was built in the traditions of Russian church architecture from the 19th century - with preserved ancient Russian elements - the so-called "bulbs" (cubes), combined with traditional Old Russian mosaics and woodcarvings, it also bears the marks of more modern architecture and painting. Characteristic of the plan of the temple is the non-axial position of the entrance (the narthex), relative to the altar. Ie the entrance is on the south side, and the altar, according to ancient tradition, points to the east - the two elements form a right angle. In the crypt of the temple is the tomb of Archbishop Seraphim Sobolev (St. Seraphim, Archbishop Bogucharski, Sophia Wonderworker). Thousands of believers and unbelievers approach him asking for miraculous help before exams, important decisions in life or in times of illness and need. Often, they record their prayers on paper and put them in a special box next to his grave.”
“Beautifull church in old style right after the main walking part of boulevard Vitosha. Must see. ”