Poarta Ecaterinei a fost construită, pentru a facilita accesul șcheienilor în Brașov, la mijlocul laturii dintre Bastionul Țesătorilor și cel al Fierarilor, pe locul unei vechi porți din veacul al XIV-lea sau al XV-lea, distrusă de inundația din 24 august 1526, cât și în urma năvălirilor turcești.
Katalin gate, one of the oldest gates in town but undeniably the most beautiful is still preserved in its original state. In the course of history it used to be known under several names: Felső (Upper) gate, Corpus Christi and Saint Catherine, which is used today. The gate is located near Schei gate…
..to relax on a bench and admire the old city gates. ps: a taxi station is net to the park ;)
My favorite old building in town is Ecaterina's Gate, near the famous Schei Gate. It's part of the medieval defense wall system of Brasov.
A beautiful landmark of Brașov. Looks like a tiny castle with an archway, with small gardens around it. Very picturesque and on the way to other attractions. It's right next door to Poarta Schei so you won't have to wander around to find it. It is the only gate of Brasov that still stands delimiting…
“My recommendation is not for the restaurant but for the old Romanian district called Schei that starts when you go through the Schei gate (Poarta Schei). If you have time, spend a few hours strolling along the pretty narrow streets of Schei that get lost on the hills surrounding the valley. ”
“The White tower was built in 1494 on top of a rock. Its straight side closing a semicircle faces the city. The tower has 5 stories and its height ranges between 18-20 meters, depending on the grounds it is built on. It got its name from the whitewash that coated its walls. The top is bastion shaped and the offsets from which showers of stone were dropped on the attacking enemy are still standing on its sidewalls. The entrance of the tower was so high that a ladder was needed in order to get inside. Just like the other buildings, the tower also suffered damages in the 1689 fire which were remedied only in the 1723 restoring works. According to the town defense system the tin- and coppersmiths”
“The Black tower is an 11 meter high massive tower with a glass roof constructed in 1995. It was built in the XIVth century and survived two fires caused by lightning. After the first fire (1599) the tower was named The Black Tower. The 2 m high entrance of the tower could be approached only by ladder. The link to the castle was an underground tunnel and a bridge. The tower was built for defense against enemies. The last time it functioned as a watchtower was in 1756 during the plague epidemic. Today the tower houses temporary exhibitions.”
“Biserica Neagră or Black Church (German: Schwarze Kirche; Romanian: Biserica Neagră; is a church in Brașov, a city in south-eastern Transylvania, Romania. It was built by the German community of the city and stands as the main Gothic style monument in the country, as well as being the largest and one of the most important Lutheran (Evangelical Church of Augustan Confession in Romania) places of worship in the region. The originally-Roman Catholic structure was known as the Church of Saint Mary, replacing an older building used for the same purpose. Construction on it began during the late 14th century, at an unknown date — analysis of related evidence has led several researchers to conclude that work began between 1383 and 1385, employing Bulgarian workers and craftsmen who proceeded to establish the Brașov Bulgarian colony in Șcheii Brașovului. According to popular legend, a German child was disturbing the Bulgarian builders or told them that one of the walls was leaning. An annoyed Bulgarian pushed the child off the church tower and then immured his corpse in the church to conceal his crime. It is known that, in its first stages, the building was serviced by a priest named Thomas (died 1410), whose grave is located in the choir area. Work on the fortifications in the surrounding area probably began at the same time as work on the church, leading in time to the completion of Brașov's third citadel. Its altar originally featured a single column, but its role in supporting the entire central structure — on the model of German cathedrals built by Hans Stettheimer (a view expressed by researchers such as Ernst Kühlbrandt and Antal Hekler) is under dispute. The naves took longer to complete, and construction was interrupted for various intervals: in 1423, Pope Martin V issued an indulgence for people involved in construction, as a means to reactivate the site; in 1474, a document issued by Sixtus IV acknowledged that work was still lagging. Several octagonal pillars, redesigned at least once during the building process, were probably completed around 1444. One of them features the inlaid crest of military leader John Hunyadi, who is mentioned among the church benefactors. The most intense work took place before and after 1450, and involved completing the exceptionally large number of portals, including the northern "Golden Gate" and its adjacent altar of the Holy Sacrifice. The eastern portal, commissioned by the Hungarian King Matthias Corvinus, was completed in 1476. The vestry was enlarged at some point between 1500 and 1515. The Black Church in summer Completed during the 15th century (soon after 1476), the church belongs to the final stages of Gothic architecture. The result was a three-nave basilica, all the same height, as was preferred during the 15th and 16th centuries in the German lands, where most of the architects and masons originated. Many parts of the building show similarities with the church in Sebeș and St. Michael Church of Cluj-Napoca, as well as with the Dominikánsky kostol in Košice. The design was itself an inspiration for other religious buildings in the region, and it is possible that a stonemason originally employed on the site later worked on the church in Ghimbav. The Catholic services were replaced with Lutheran ones during the Protestant Reformation, coinciding with the influence exercised by Johannes Honter. A statue in memory of Honter was later erected by Harro Magnussen on one side of the building. The structure was partially destroyed during a great fire set by invading Habsburg forces on the April 21, 1689 (during the Great Turkish War). Afterwards, it became known as the Black Church. A large part of the inner structure was modified during the 18th century, breaking with the original design. Following the fire of 1689, Biserica Neagră was repaired with the help of masons coming from Danzig, as local craftsmen had not mastered the craft of completing the enormous vaults; these were to be completed in Baroque style.”