As soon as he arrived in 1887, Prince Ferdinand I invited Plovdiv city gardener, Swiss Shavalas, to revamp the alley network, build glazed pavilions for flower gardens and enrich the vegetation in the Botanical Garden. Austria was invited by the gardener, J. Kelerer, to form a large rock garden with…
Take down the stairs at the crossing between Levksi Boulevard and Gurko Street and exit on the opposite side going right inside and taking the left exit. You'll end up in Knyazheska Garden in the corner where there is great playground for kids to play all year round!
A must-see landmark, the Monument to the Soviet Army is a nostalgic reminder of socialist times. It shows a brave soldier surrounded by hard-working members of the proletariat looking ahead to the bright future that awaits.
“The Yalta Club is certainly one of the most prominent places that come up when one starts talking about nightclubs in Sofia, Bulgaria. Being a significant part of the history, this club was the first one which started playing electronic music in the post-communist period. Many of the famous Bulgarian DJs started their musical journey from this very club. You might be surprised to know that this club brings in EDM DJs from across the globe and thus always remains very busy. The interior has been designed to be minimalist to provide you with a feeling of a private party.”
“Great place to enjoy a cup of coffee in front of the National Theatre Ivan Vazov. ”
Point of Interest
“The National Assembly building is located in the National Assembly Square in Sofia and is one of the first public buildings that were built after the Liberation. The beginning of the skiff dates back to June 4, 1884, with the architect Konstantin Jovanovic's project. In 1885 it was completed and the building was declared a monument of culture, and further reconstruction and upgrading was subsequently made.”
“Traditional Bulgarian cuisine, recipes from “the old days” and mature wines from all over Bulgaria.”
“Russian Orthodox Church. Its construction began at the end of the 19th century (the exact date is unknown, as different architectural projects alternate), and lasted for many years, consecrated in 1914 on the eve of World War I. The building was built on a plot of the Russian Embassy designed by Mikhail Preobrazhensky specifically for the needs of Russian immigrants in the capital. The murals are the work of a team of artists headed by Vasily Perminov (one of the authors of the murals in Alexander Nevski). The five small domes of the church are gilded. The central dome is 19 m high. The bells were donated by Russian Tsar Nicholas II. Initially conceived as a chapel to the Russian Embassy in Bulgaria, the temple almost immediately lost its role after 1917. After the Second Russian Revolution, priests and bishops of the so-called "Russian Abroad Church" began to serve in it, and the already established temple became the center of numerous Russian immigration in the country. After 1947, the temple was transferred to the diocese of the Moscow Patriarchate, which governs it to this day. (It is considered patriarchy or Stavropiy of this patriarchate). In terms of architecture, the temple was built in the traditions of Russian church architecture from the 19th century - with preserved ancient Russian elements - the so-called "bulbs" (cubes), combined with traditional Old Russian mosaics and woodcarvings, it also bears the marks of more modern architecture and painting. Characteristic of the plan of the temple is the non-axial position of the entrance (the narthex), relative to the altar. Ie the entrance is on the south side, and the altar, according to ancient tradition, points to the east - the two elements form a right angle. In the crypt of the temple is the tomb of Archbishop Seraphim Sobolev (St. Seraphim, Archbishop Bogucharski, Sophia Wonderworker). Thousands of believers and unbelievers approach him asking for miraculous help before exams, important decisions in life or in times of illness and need. Often, they record their prayers on paper and put them in a special box next to his grave.”