Great place to enjoy a cup of coffee in front of the National Theatre Ivan Vazov.
However, probably the most crowded one of them all is the City Garden. Also known as “the garden in front of the National Theatre” it truly is one of the most social places in town. Enjoy a drink or two with your friends in this great outdoor environment!
Nice garden in the middle between the Tsar’s palace and the buildings of the National Theatre and National Bank. Full with people all day and night. To visit the temporary library situated in a small glass pavilion in the garden.
The City Garden is the oldest park in the Bulgarian capital Sofia, located in the center of the city in front of the former royal palace. It was officially opened on April 4, 1878 and was originally called the Alexandrovska Garden.
“Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is the crown jewel of Sofia. It is one of the largest Eastern orthodox cathedrals in the world. Its foundation stone was laid in 1882. However, most of the construction work actually took place between 1904 and 1912.The main dome is 45 m tall and Christian Lord’s Prayer is inscribed with thin golden letters around it. The gorgeous chandeliers suspended from the domes were specially made for the church in Munich, Germany.”
“As soon as he arrived in 1887, Prince Ferdinand I invited Plovdiv city gardener, Swiss Shavalas, to revamp the alley network, build glazed pavilions for flower gardens and enrich the vegetation in the Botanical Garden. Austria was invited by the gardener, J. Kelerer, to form a large rock garden with several thousand rare species. The greenhouses were built in 1893 by arch. Friedrich Grünanger. Since 1891, a zoo has been organized by the prince in the garden. The Prince and Gardens Prof. J. Lochho, J. Fry and J. Morrisse structure a botanical and decorative exotic department. In 1903 an elegant secession cast iron fence was built with stone pillars of arch. Georgi Fingov .”
Point of Interest
“The National Assembly building is located in the National Assembly Square in Sofia and is one of the first public buildings that were built after the Liberation. The beginning of the skiff dates back to June 4, 1884, with the architect Konstantin Jovanovic's project. In 1885 it was completed and the building was declared a monument of culture, and further reconstruction and upgrading was subsequently made.”
“One of Sofia’s newest galleries, often referred to as “The Bulgarian Louvre” it truly offers a great variety of both Bulgarian and foreign art.”
“Russian Orthodox Church. Its construction began at the end of the 19th century (the exact date is unknown, as different architectural projects alternate), and lasted for many years, consecrated in 1914 on the eve of World War I. The building was built on a plot of the Russian Embassy designed by Mikhail Preobrazhensky specifically for the needs of Russian immigrants in the capital. The murals are the work of a team of artists headed by Vasily Perminov (one of the authors of the murals in Alexander Nevski). The five small domes of the church are gilded. The central dome is 19 m high. The bells were donated by Russian Tsar Nicholas II. Initially conceived as a chapel to the Russian Embassy in Bulgaria, the temple almost immediately lost its role after 1917. After the Second Russian Revolution, priests and bishops of the so-called "Russian Abroad Church" began to serve in it, and the already established temple became the center of numerous Russian immigration in the country. After 1947, the temple was transferred to the diocese of the Moscow Patriarchate, which governs it to this day. (It is considered patriarchy or Stavropiy of this patriarchate). In terms of architecture, the temple was built in the traditions of Russian church architecture from the 19th century - with preserved ancient Russian elements - the so-called "bulbs" (cubes), combined with traditional Old Russian mosaics and woodcarvings, it also bears the marks of more modern architecture and painting. Characteristic of the plan of the temple is the non-axial position of the entrance (the narthex), relative to the altar. Ie the entrance is on the south side, and the altar, according to ancient tradition, points to the east - the two elements form a right angle. In the crypt of the temple is the tomb of Archbishop Seraphim Sobolev (St. Seraphim, Archbishop Bogucharski, Sophia Wonderworker). Thousands of believers and unbelievers approach him asking for miraculous help before exams, important decisions in life or in times of illness and need. Often, they record their prayers on paper and put them in a special box next to his grave.”