Russian Orthodox Church. Its construction began at the end of the 19th century (the exact date is unknown, as different architectural projects alternate), and lasted for many years, consecrated in 1914 on the eve of World War I. The building was built on a plot of the Russian Embassy designed by…
This beautiful church is known for the crypt, located beneath the main floor of the church itself, housing the remains of Saint Archbishop Seraphim, where people often go to write letters with prayers and wishes.
The Russian church is very beautiful, both from the outside and from the inside. It has a crypt underground, which is visited by many believers around the world. People believe that when they write their wishes on a slip and put it in the box of St. Seraphim's tomb, it will fulfill their wishes. The…
St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, known as the Russian Church, is an Orthodox church in the Bulgarian capital Sofia, one of the emblematic architectural buildings of the city. The five small domes of the church are gilded and the bells are donated by the Russian emperor Nicholas II. The crypt of the…
The famous Russian church is right in the centre of Sofia, next to the cathedral Alexander Nevsky.
“Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is the crown jewel of Sofia. It is one of the largest Eastern orthodox cathedrals in the world. Its foundation stone was laid in 1882. However, most of the construction work actually took place between 1904 and 1912.The main dome is 45 m tall and Christian Lord’s Prayer is inscribed with thin golden letters around it. The gorgeous chandeliers suspended from the domes were specially made for the church in Munich, Germany.”
“Have a walk in the garden of the theater or lay on the grass under the sunshine or under the shade of old trees, while listening to the fountain and gazing into the wonderful ornaments of the theater. ”
“The National Art Gallery is situated in the former royal palace of Bulgaria. In the halls where once ministers and royalties took decisions, today you can make a historic run through the artworks of Bulgaria’s most prominent artists. Be sure to not miss the bright winter garden, dedicated to temporary photographic exhibitions. Behind the gallery/palace is a small and quiet park.”
“History and architecture The church was built on the site of several earlier churches from 4th c. and places of worship dating back to the days when it was the necropolis of the Roman town of Serdica. In the 2nd century, it was the location of a Roman theatre. Over the next few centuries, several other churches were constructed, only to be destroyed by invading forces such as the Goths and the Huns. The basic cross design of the present basilica, with its two east towers and one tower-cupola, is believed to be the fifth structure to be constructed on the site and was built during the reign of Byzantine Emperor Justinian I in the middle of the 6th century (527-565). It is thus a contemporary of the better-known Hagia Sophia church in Constantinople. During the Second Bulgarian Empire (spanning the 12th to 14th centuries), the structure acquired the status of a metropolitan church. In the 14th century, the church gave its name to the city. In the 16th century, during Ottoman rule, the church was converted into a mosque: the original 12th-century frescoes were destroyed and minarets were added. In the 19th century two earthquakes destroyed one of the minarets and the mosque was abandoned. Restoration work was begun after 1900. The Saint Sofia Church is now one of the most valuable pieces of Early Christian architecture in Southeastern Europe. The present building is a cross basilica with three altars. The floor of the church is covered with complex Early Christian ornamental or flora and fauna-themed mosaics. The Saint Sofia Church stands in the middle of an ancient necropolis and many tombs have been unearthed both under and near the church. Some of the tombs even feature frescoes. Because Saint Sophia represents Holy Wisdom, icons within the church depict Sophia as Christ Emmanuel, a young figure of Christ seated on a rainbow. The church also displays icons of historical saints, including St. George and St. Vladimir.”
“In the mid 1970's the government decided that Bulgaria needed a large-scale cultural center. The deadline for its construction was 1981, to host the celebrations marking 1300 years of the establishment of the Bulgarian state. The construction of the complex took only 3 years (1979-1981). The foundations are made of 10 000 tones of steel. The official opening of NDK took place on 31th of March 1981 to mark 1 300 years since the founding of the Bulgaria state.”