This 1300 castle was built by a wealthy family of merchants, then became the prison of the Spanish inquisition in Sicily, this was rediscovered only this century and the prisoners' cells are today the only prison of the inquisition that has remained intact and can be visited. be accompanied by a…
Palazzo nobiliare che in epoca borbonica fu sede del Tribunale della Santa inquisizione. Palazzo nobiliare that in the Bourbon era was the seat of the Court of the Holy Inquisition.
The residence of the most important Sicilian family in the XIV sec., after become the Tribunal of Spanish Inquisition, the jail and prisoners graffiti
The building was begun in the early 14th century. It housed the Aragonese-Spanish viceroys of Sicily; home to the Royal Customs and, from 1600 to 1782, the tribunal and jail of the Holy Inquisition
“Palazzo Abatellis (also known as Palazzo Patella) is located in the Kalsa quarter. It is home to the Gallery of Art for the Sicilian region”
“A Norman church refurbished many times in other periods. It looks baroque outside but once you get in you'll find the most stunning and precious bizantine mosaics of the Norman period. This church is a must see in Palermo, together with the other two in the same piazza!”
“This beautiful church with no roof is a must see, plus is house to the Jazz school ' Brass Group' - Check the program on their website for concerts and events”
“Jesus's Church is one of the most important Baroque churches of Palermo and Sicily. After almost two years of restoration, the building was reopened for worship in 2009. The Jesuits began the construction of the Church attached to the main one (Casa Professa) in the late sixteenth century, in a place traditionally considered a refuge for hermits, including St. Calogero, still center of early Christian catacombs. The building, a large transept and nave with side chapels, was designed by the Jesuit Giovanni Tristano. At the beginning of the seventeenth century, to adapt it to the needs of the grandeur of worship, designed by Natale Masuccio, were shot down the dividing walls of the chapels, getting three aisles. In 1892, the Church was declared "National Monument". During the Second World War a bomb fell on the dome and in the collapse, dragged most of the paintings of the presbytery and the transept. The interior is an important example of the fusion between architecture, painting and plastic decoration "a maschio", a valuable marble inlays, made with floral motifs or figurative. The most spectacular part of the building is perhaps the tribune apse, adorned by Shepherd Adoration (1710-1714) and Magi Adoration (1719-1721), marble bas-reliefs on the grandstand seats, by Gioacchino Vitagliano.”