National Museum of Natural History
Мисията на музея е насочена в няколко направления: фундаментални и приложни изследвания, управление и съхраняване на колекциите, разпространение на природонаучните знания чрез експозицията и популярната литература, обучение на докторанти и млади специалисти, експертна дейност.
Small but nice, to see about the ancient animals and plants, the largest fossil you can see is about 1,50 m :)
For nature loves - visit the first and the richest natural history museum on the Balkans.
“Grand opera house & local landmark opened in 1953, hosting global opera & ballet stars.”
“Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is the crown jewel of Sofia. It is one of the largest Eastern orthodox cathedrals in the world. Its foundation stone was laid in 1882. However, most of the construction work actually took place between 1904 and 1912.The main dome is 45 m tall and Christian Lord’s Prayer is inscribed with thin golden letters around it. The gorgeous chandeliers suspended from the domes were specially made for the church in Munich, Germany.”
“The National Art Gallery is situated in the former royal palace of Bulgaria. In the halls where once ministers and royalties took decisions, today you can make a historic run through the artworks of Bulgaria’s most prominent artists. Be sure to not miss the bright winter garden, dedicated to temporary photographic exhibitions. Behind the gallery/palace is a small and quiet park.”
“Built in 1907 by the Austrian architects Helmer & Felner, the National Theatre is one of the most ornate buildings in Sofia. The 40 metre high façade, is fronted by a large pediment, supported on six white marble columns, depicting Apollo and the muses. The twin towers that rise up behind are crowned with sculptures of the goddess Nike.The interior was destroyed by fire in 1923, and restored again six years later increasing the theatres seating capacity to over 1000. The ornate main hall has an 850 audience capacity. The stage curtain, with its mythical firebird motive from Stravinsky’s ballet, was woven by women from Panagyurishte.”