跳至内容
咖啡馆

Wise Owl

3位当地人推荐 ·

来自当地人的小建议

Raka
Raka
February 23, 2018
It's a pretty little cafe, with a great selection of teas. The lemon iced tea is a favourite, especially on hot, humid evenings over long, languorous conversations.
Mehul
Mehul
August 5, 2017
A nice place to relax and sip a cup of coffee. You must try their Maggi.
Ratnaboli
Ratnaboli
June 19, 2015
nice coffee hangout .

附近的住宿

当地人还推荐的好去处

餐厅
“This place serves vegetarian food and is multi-cuisine. The food is delicious. All the dishes are nice!”
  • 1位当地人推荐
Sublocality
“For everyday groceries, vegetables, the place is cheap and budget-friendly.”
  • 3位当地人推荐
餐厅
  • 1位当地人推荐
餐厅
“It's an amazing place to party especially when you are here for the weekend.”
  • 3位当地人推荐
Sublocality Level 3
“New Market is a market in Kolkata situated on Lindsay Street, beside Free School Street (Mirza Ghalib Street/Rani Rasmoni Road). Although primarily "New Market" referred to the original enclosed market, today in local parlance, the entire shopping area is often known as "New Market". Some of the earliest English quarters of Calcutta were in an area known then as Dalhousie Square. Terretti and Lalbazar nearby were the customary shopping haunts of the British. Later settlements arose in Kashaitola, Dharmatala and Chowringhee. By the 1850s, British colonists held sway in Calcutta and displayed increasing contempt for the "natives" and an aversion to brushing shoulders with them at the bazaars. In 1871, moved by a well orchestrated outcry from English residents, a committee of the Calcutta Corporation began to contemplate a market which would be the preserve of Calcutta's British residents. Spurred by the committee's deliberations, the Corporation purchased Lindsay Street, made plans to raze the old Fenwick's Bazar located there, and commissioned Richard Roskell Bayne, an architect of the East Indian Railway Company, to design the Victorian Gothic market complex which would take its place. It began to take shape in 1873, and Bayne was honoured for his achievement with a Rs. 1,000 rupee award, a large sum in the 1870s. Mackintosh Burn was the builder. The giant shopping arcade was thrown open to the English populace with some fanfare on 1 January 1874. News of Calcutta's first municipal market spread rapidly. Affluent colonials from all over India shopped at exclusive retailers like Ranken and Company (dressmakers), Cuthbertson and Harper (shoe-merchants) and R.W. Newman or Thacker Spink, the famous stationers and book-dealers. Sir Stuart Hogg, then the Chairman of Calcutta Corporation, had shown tenacious support for the plans to build the New Market. So, 28 years later, on 2 December 1903, the market was officially named Sir Stuart Hogg Market and later shortened to Hogg Market. Bengali society, in the British era, called it Hogg Shaheber Bajaar, a name that is still in use, just as a painting of Sir Stuart Hogg still hangs in Calcutta Corporation's portrait gallery. But the earliest provisional nickname, New Market, which remained in use throughout, proved to have the most sticking power. New Market's growth kept pace with the city until World War II. The northern portion of the market came up in 1909 at an expense of 6 lakh rupees. Despite the gathering storm of World War II, an extension was engineered on the south flank, and the historic clock tower on the southern end of the market was shipped over from Huddersfield and installed in the 1930s. Florists were located near the front entrance, and stalls selling fresh and preserved foods were placed towards the rear of the market. Beyond the vegetable stalls, fishmongers and slaughterhouse butchers plied their trade, and, until the mid-1970s, at the very back of the market, exotic animals from all over the British Empire could be bought as pets ”
  • 11位当地人推荐
地点
WB Kolkata,邮编700029