A secluded island retreat with stunning sea and bushland views.
3 bedrooms, free WiFi, reverse cycle air conditioning, cosy log fire and luxury pillow-top mattresses; an excellent base for exploring the island and just 25 minutes from the ferry.
Kestrel Downs is a tranquil, light-filled island retreat with free WiFi.
A unique island property - this secluded coastal haven offers both close proximity to pristine beaches and also the opportunity to share the natural habitat of Kangaroo Island's native birds and animals.
Settled lightly on the landscape, on 40 private hectares of ancient dune country - and next door to pristine Pennington Bay - Kestrel Downs offers a beautiful vista of waterways and islands. Wake to dawn's light reflected in the ocean inlet of Pelican Lagoon; sit on the verandah and watch native fauna drink and bathe at the bird bath.
The property's native bushland is home to kangaroos, wallabies, bandicoots, echidnas, goannas and plentiful birdlife. It offers serene sea and bushland views from every window, not a neighbour in sight.
This island retreat features spacious open plan living with Balinese furniture, polished bamboo floors and a sparkling new farm-size kitchen. Light and airy, it offers eco-friendly design features including solar power, surround verandah and pure rainwater throughout.
Go bird watching, fauna spotting, swimming, beach combing, fishing, surfing - or just relax, drift away and enjoy the view.
Kestrel Downs is the perfect base for exploring the island.
SPECIAL FEATURES AND LAYOUT
- Free WiFi
- Excellent mobile network coverage
- Only 25 minutes from ferry and airport
- Just 7 km from supplies, restaurant and petrol
- Spacious, fully equipped, contemporary design kitchen with 700 mm stove
- Polished bamboo floors throughout the 3 bedrooms (2 x queen, 2 x single)
- Reverse cycle airconditioning and wood fire
- Quality furnishings
- Luxury pillow-top mattresses
- Laundry and washing machine
- Linen and towels included in tariff
- All bedding line-dried in fresh island air
- Solar power
- Barbrque, gas
- Outside furniture setting
- Tariff does not change for weekend bookings
- Ample private parking
And at our doorstep?
- Beautiful Pennington Bay, backed by pristine dunes, is just 2 km from the front door; go beach combing, fishing, swimming or surfing.
- Climb the 530 steps of the giant dune of Prospect Hill, adjacent to Kestrel Downs - for panoramic views of the north and south coast of the island
- Take a short drive to the picturesque township of American River for fresh, local oysters, charter a fishing expedition or wander along the shady waterside Cannery Walk.
- Enjoy the diverse talents of Kangaroo Island's artist community at the nearby sculpture and glass studios and at the Baudin Beach gallery.
- Treat yourself to wine tasting and lunch at nearby wineries or sample the delicious honey ice cream at the honey farm.
- Wander further afield and the possibilities are endless.
Kestrel Downs' location provides a perfect base for exploring the island.
Guests have the entire house and surroundings to themselves for the duration of their stay.
- Please respect our property: we do not charge for cleaning; please leave it clean and tidy
-Observe Arrival/Departure times, as cleaner needs access to premises between 10.00 am and 2.00 pm
- We are privileged to share our land with native wildlife; drive slowly at all times on our property
- If using the air con, turn it off when you go out
- Replace the key in the combination lock on your final departure
I'm a secondary teacher by trade, a mother of two adult children and have a little grand daughter. I'm inspired by the natural environment and movies and books absorb part of my life.
My husband and I have traveled to many wonderful countries and lived overseas for 2 years. We have also lived in Sydney for a year and in Perth for 7 years, yet it is the unique beauty of Kangaroo Island which most breathes life into us.
Our family has spent many blissful holidays at Kestrel Downs and we would love to share this experience with you.