This garden apartment is an open-concept, 550-square-foot private suite. Easy access to the El train and just 10 minutes to downtown attractions such as Millennium Park, the Bean, Mag Mile shopping, and the Art Institute. There is a queen bed, queen air mattress, couch, mini fridge, and microwave. Every guest gets fresh linens.
Check-in is fast, simple, and available 24/7 with keypad access. I do not charge a cleaning fee—I think cleanliness should be a given, not an extra charge.
This is a 550 sq. ft. room on the garden level of a three-story building. Originally my wife and I set it up as a guest room for friends and family, but as we worked on the space I had a different idea. You see, although I live in the city, I occasionally took time off work to book a cheap hotel room and write. I stayed in old 60s-era buildings with peeling wallpaper and hard beds. Everything reeked of cigarettes, and when I left my belongings reeked too. Loud window AC units blew stale air all night. Many hotels charged me $15 a day for Internet access. It occurred to me that my garden apartment room would make a much nicer affordable hotel room than any in which I had stayed. That's when I decided to list it on Air BnB.
Some Air BnB listings are meant to provide guests with an astronomical quantity of living space, or Jacuzzi pools, chef kitchens, and skyline views, or a complete immersion experience with a live-in tour guide. This is not one of those rooms. This room is intended to be a clean, comfortable, completely private, and affordable space for someone who wants to spend more time out exploring the city than relaxing indoors.
Please note: This is an older building with hardwood floors that do not have professional sound masking. Some sound does transmit between floors. If you are a light sleeper, expect complete silence during your trip, or have never been inside an apartment building with other occupants before, this is not the room for you.
The room has:
- Seely Queen bed
- Nespresso machine with complimentary pods & cream/sugar
- Totally private en-suite bathroom with a bathtub/shower
- Large library desk workspace
- Private entry from the street with keypad lock
- Sheets and towels are provided, and are laundered for each guest
- Queen air mattress
- Free and readily available street parking. No visitor permits required.
You have a private entryway to the suite. Speedy guest wi-fi is provided.
You will be able to get in and out of the apartment with a keypad lock. I am available via the Airbnb app but am not available to provide in-person interaction.
* The WiFi password is posted in the room.
* When you arrive, you will find the air mattress packed up between the white armchairs and the room divider. There is bedding in a box nearby.
* There are directions to the nearest bus and train stop in the room.
* The apartment has central heat and air conditioning in addition to several space heaters you can set to your preference. If too much hot or cold air is coming from the vents, feel free to close them.
* Ask for more bath towels if you need them.
* There is a huge grocery store (Mariano's) less than a five minute walk away.
* Less than a five minute walk away there is a small gym (Charter Fitness) that issues day passes.
* The neighborhood's best coffee shop (Bridgeport Coffee) is a ten minute walk, and there is another coffee shop (J51 Smile) around the corner that makes great espresso drinks.
* There is a laundromat/dry cleaners around the corner on 31st Street.
* For medical visits - Rush University Medical Center is a ten-minute bus ride away. University of Illinois Hospital is a ten minute drive, but would take a bit longer on public transportation. Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's, Northwestern Memorial Chicago Campus, & other downtown medical facilities are accessible after a 20-minute El ride to the Loop.
- Check-out time is 12 p.m. I cannot adjust check-in or check-out times because of the time it takes to clean between guests. If you need a later check-out time or an earlier check-in, your only option is to book an extra night. If you remain in the apartment past check-out time, you will be charged for an additional night.
- No smoking anything inside the building. Everyone in the building can smell the smoke. If I get a complaint and any detectable odor remains after you are gone we will charged a $200 smoke cleaning fee.
- No noise after 11 p.m. This is a garden apartment in an older building with hardwood floors, and some sound transmits between floors. Please respect your neighbors and keep music and noise at a reasonable level. The other side of the coin is to be understanding that there are other people in the building and you may hear footsteps, chairs sounds, etc.
- There are no parties allowed. We take noise complaints from neighbors or other residents of the building very seriously. If we get a noise complaint and can verify that you are having a party, there will be a $200 charge.
- I provide an air mattress, mini fridge, and microwave as a courtesy to guests. Please leave these things in the same condition in which you found them. When guests leave a mess in the microwave or mini fridge, or do not drain air from the air mattress and repack it, it delays the next guest's check-in by an hour or more. For that reason you will be charged a $60 service fee for leaving the appliances messy or leaving the air mattress out on the floor.