This 1800s hideaway in the heart of artsy Lambertville NJ has a knock-out kitchen (complete with marble countertops and authentic cabinets from Jim Morrison's last US residence out in West Hollywood), that opens up onto your secluded courtyard and garden.
You'll have 1 Queen bed, made up with Egyptian linens, plus 1 twin sleeper sofa in a separate 2nd floor dan. These 2 sleeping areas share a full modern bath (tub and shower and even dressing table), with Juliette balcony that opens out over Secret Garden.
For your convenience, there are 2 TVs, an ipod with everything from Billie Holiday to Rockpile, and wireless internet.
It's all just 1.5 hours from NYC and 1 hour from Philly (see below for public transport) But why would you want to leave?
You'll be surrounded by art galleries, antique shops, more than 2 dozen cool restaurants -- and you'll be right on the historic Canal path which is treasured for biking, kayaking, paddle-boarding!
Can there be more? A short stroll over the bridge'll take you to New Hope PA for Friday fireworks in summer, a newly re-opened Bucks County Playhouse, fun global music at St Johns Church, and an active historic society.
These 2 river towns host special festivals throughout the year -- Shad Fest, Winterfest, Autumn House Tour, Spring Garden Tour!
Plus, you're only 3 miles downriver from the incredible Stockton Farmer's Market (F/S/S, throughout the year)
and 6 miles upriver from Washington Crossing State Park, where George Washington made his famous crossing during our Revolution.
It's easy to reach Lambertville by car, and Secret Garden comes with a parking spot (this is a BIG DEAL in Lambertville)
but you can also get here from NYC via the TransBridge Bus ($40 one way, 1.5 hour trip from Port Authority, free wi-fi on board) and get dropped off 2 blocks from the Secret Garden!
Check out my photos and feel free to message me, Melanie, with any questions.
Welcome to Lambertville!
As a guest of Secret Garden, you will have exclusive use of the entire house (all 1000 square feet of it LOL) and the brick patio of the garden.
However, home abuts 2 other homes in this quaint historic area, so the gardens on either side of Secret Garden's brick patio are private. Everyone is very friendly, but to respect privacy (and to prevent the K9s from getting out of garden gate), please contain your garden use to only the brick patio area, and always use FRONT DRIVEWAY DOOR to enter/exit Secret Garden.
I am often right next door during your stay, but I am always a text away for any issues during your stay. You will receive my contact info when you confirm a reservation.
A note about kids:
I raised 4 sons, so I know firsthand the enjoyment of traveling with kids. However, Secret Garden is a small enclave of 3 homes, all adult-owned and occupied. The bedroom has no door, so is open to the stairway, and the home is not childproof.
It is not recommended for any children under 10, and older kids by special request only please. Thank you!
I love my home's energy, light, and warmth, and I hope it makes you feel welcome! All I ask is that you treat it like it was your own. 7 main rules:
1. NO SMOKING, inside the home, in the garden, or in the driveway.
2. We are incredibly lucky to have this secluded canal-front spot that includes one parking space. BUT it is both tight and limited so the parking instructions (that we will email to you a week prior to arrival) are critical! To respect our neighbors, fellow canal path users, and your vehicle, please read these guidelines carefully before you head over to Secret Garden. If anything seems unclear, just send a text or call - I am here to help.
3. You will also need special driving directions to reach Secret Garden. GPSs do not work on the canal path where we are located, so driving directions will be emailed to you the week before your stay.
4. Shoes off at door, please. (heels on stairs make a lot of noise!) Quiet hours in town start at 10pm.
5. I am a big cook and have a well-equipped kitchen. I like for you to enjoy it, but I ask you to respect certain guidelines (outlined on Welcome Letter when you arrive) and to use the pans/tools/etc respectfully, leaving them exactly as you have found them. In other words, treat the kitchen as your own.
6. House abuts 2 other homes in this quaint historic area, so the gardens on either side of Secret Garden's brick patio are private. Everyone is very friendly, but to respect privacy (and to prevent Melanie's K9 from getting out of garden gate), please contain your garden use to only the brick patio area, and always use FRONT/DRIVEWAY DOOR to enter/exit Secret Garden.
7. Remember that I am here to help!
Thank you and welcome to the River Towns!
I'm a 53 year old founder of a travel design service called Rare Finds Travel. I plan unique trips for adventurous travelers -- think treehouses and 5* cave hotels, truffle hunting and swimming with 25' mantas and you've got the right idea.
I have 4 grown sons, living from Nepal to Santa Barbara, and I currently live in an historic home on the canal in Lambertville NJ with my K9 Patrick.
I love the outdoors and all things on or near the water! I am a huge Foodie - if it doesn't walk off my plate, I eat it! And I love to read - especially memoirs, travel stories, and history.
I enjoy hosting. It feels great to welcome folks into my town and point them in the direction of my favorite hikes, introduce them to my restauranteur friends.
I look forward to meeting you and welcoming you to my rivertown, Lambertville!