Located in an exotic remote area of the Big Island, Hawaii, our off-grid rustic cabin at 3-acre ROOT DOWN FARM offers an unique opportunity for you to experience an unforgettable vacation.
Our rustic cabin lets you engage with nature in the comfort of secluded and cozy setting.
- Wake up with the first light of sunrise flowing into the room and the view of sky shifting color
- Feel the vibrant energy of Hawaiian tropical jungle surrounding the cabin
- Watch the surreal moon rise through silhouette of the jungle as the sky shifts into darkness - all from the comfort of your own bed
- Fall asleep with the chorus of coqui frogs and refreshing sound of evening rain
Our cabin offers:
- 360º view of lush jungle and organic farm
- Spacious (384 sq ft) living space
- Well-equipped (pots, plates, utensils) kitchen with gas stoves
- Private propane shower and compost toilet (pee outside; poop in the compost toilet)
- Queen bed with natural wool futon mattress
- Single-size floor mattress available for a 3rd person
- Bright, breezy, and simply comfortable
**4% General Excise Tax and 9.25% Hotel Tax are included
- Ample space for parking cars
- WiFi is available ONLY AT THE MAIN HOUSE BALCONY (where we live) from 8am-8pm. Since we are in a remote area, please expect WiFi to be slower than you are used to.
- You are more than welcome to stroll around our yard
- Yumiko's Hawaiian Lomilomi massage can be arranged in advance subject to availability. The rate is $100 for 60min (minimum 2 persons), $150 for 90min, and $180 for 120min. Please inquire ahead of time to book your appointments.
Most of the time, one of us will be at home to answer any questions you might have. We can help you with tips on where to go, what to eat, and where to shop in this part of the island.
ROOT DOWN FARM is a 3-acre completely off-grid self-sustained homestead, which means we produce our own electricity and harvest our own water with moderate conservative consumption in mind.
Our guest house is surrounded by a tropical jungle so please expect some friendly bugs, geckos, mosquitos, and spiders.
This guesthouse is designed to let guests enjoy their stay in an open environment where they can soak in nature first hand. With this unique feature comes risk of being exposed to too much of what the mother nature throws at us sometimes. So as a disclaimer, we'd like to mention that in case of natural disasters such as tropical storm or hurricane, our guesthouse may not be suitable for a comfortable stay.
In such case, we will refund your money (minus the Airbnb service fee) for the nights you were not able to stay with us due to weather factor.
Please note that latest check-in time is 6 PM.
There will be a late check-in fee of $25 if checking-in after 6 PM.
This fee will be waived if the guests' flight arrives in Hilo airport after 5PM.
* Check-in time is between 12pm-6pm. Please be advised that we do not offer late Check-in after 6pm. (We are located about one hour from Hilo.)
* Please let us know one day in advance what time you are arriving.
* Thank you for not smoking in the cabin.
* Please take off your shoes in the cabin.
* Please clean up after yourselves in the kitchen.
* Thank you for not eating in/on the bed.
* We will not be responsible for any theft and/or damages.
We are health and environmentally conscious family with a dream of building an off-grid and organic homestead. Although we have only started this farm in 2012, our ambitious goal is to be self-sustained by growing our own food and producing our own fuel, but most importantly, to live peacefully with the land in harmony.
We would love to share with you our experience of creating this sanctuary and for you to get a taste of an alternative “harmonious” living.