The cabin was originally the blacksmith shop on the farm. We have renovated it into a one room studio with the original ceiling and a rustic atmosphere. The cabin is situated in the barnyard of our working farm with west views to the Rocky Mountains.
Our family farm is just 5 minutes west of High River, AB. We are a mixed farm, approximately 2000 acres, with grain crops, cattle, horses and a few dogs. Our farm was built by the legendary rancher, Pat Burns, who also owned the Bar U Ranch (national heritage site). The farm has been in our family since 1946.
The cabin was the original blacksmith shop on the farm. We have recently renovated it into an open studio space with a queen sized bed and one pull-out couch, bathroom with a shower, sitting area, fireplace and kitchen table. Kitchen includes full size fridge, sink and oven/stove.
Please enjoy our farm while you're here but please respect that we are a working farm and our livestock are our livelihood. Keep dogs on a leash at all times. We have very photogenic Highland cattle and horses. We also have a small pond stocked with Rainbow Trout that you are welcome to fish (catch & release).
We live and work on the farm so we are available to help you during your stay with any questions but happy to leave you to relax on your own as well.
Directions to the farm from Calgary:
1. Take highway 2 south out of Calgary.
2. Exit off at Exit #197. If you pass High River, you’ve gone too far.
3. After you exit off, head west, and go straight through a set of lights that would take you into High River, right past the High River Rodeo Grounds.
4. At this point, you’re on highway 543, aka Tongue Creek Rd, heading west towards Longview.
5. Just a couple miles after the Rodeo Grounds, turn north onto 48 St EAST (it’s the first right hand turn you can take). Starts out a paved road and turns to gravel.
7. 48 St EAST will take you down to the bottom of the coulee.
8. At the bottom of the coulee you go over a small creek (Tongue Creek) and our farm is just after the bridge on the right-hand side. There is a sign at the end of the lane that says MacKillop’s.
6. Come to the second house that is yellow (behind the trees).
Call if you need any help with the directions!
Renee’s cell: ((PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN)
Nancy's cell: ((PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN)
1) Keep dogs on a leash at all times
2) Respect the livestock (horses, cattle)
3) Close all gates behind you
4) No smoking inside
I grew up on my family's farm west of High River where we now have our AirBnb.
I worked on the farm for many years, but I now live and work in Calgary. The farm is peaceful and very beautiful so I still spend a lot of my time there. My parents, Lloyd & Nancy, live and work there and they are very easy-going and welcoming. I help with the bookings, directions and questions prior to your visit, and my parents are often your hosts.
We really enjoy having people stay on the farm to get a taste of rural life, enjoy the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, or simply have a relaxing getaway in a characterful setting. Come and stay with us!