A cozy setting in a friendly & vibrant neighborhood where time stands still & you experience The Five Seasons House charm and India in a nut shell.
Five private boutique rooms with a perfect balance of light,air & sound provide an off the grid experience.
“Everything in the Five Seasons House bursts with the promise of sustainable living that nourishes the earth, home and self."
By Usha Hariprasad at The Alternative ~
"The energetic and effervescent Vijay Dutt, owner of the home says," I wish to spread the message of energy conservation, food security, saying no to plastic, car-pooling, cycling to work, water stewardship, tree adoption etc and adopt values such as compassion towards stray animals, all of them using my home as the axis."
The Alternative ~
• Complimentary amenities: High Speed WiFi Fiber Internet, Continental/South Indian Breakfast (8 AM to 11 AM daily), HDMI cable
• Chargeable amenities: Room and Bathroom cleaning with linen change during the stay, Paddle Pool & Jacuzzi (Advance booking is required), Cable TV (kindly inform few days prior to your arrival), Toilet kit
• Guests have access to the following areas: books section, patio, gym, terrace, shared kitchen, Co-work Zone, Wine cellar, Art & creative Zone, Laundry Room. Note: Some areas might be under renovation during your visit and hence, will not be available.
As much as the guest is comfortable with.We are down to earth, humble and a friendly family.
Five Seasons was rebuilt & re-purposed, brick by brick, with every inch of wood and metal recycled. The house took nearly five years to complete, all because, Pilgrim India Foundation believed that love's labour was not going to be lost at the Dutt's old family home.
The result is a painstakingly handcrafted home with creative nooks and corners that make you pause and re-look at sustainable living with fresh new eyes. There is the wasted metal and wood that has been turned into candle holders, old speaker metal parts that now function as ceilings, creaking water pipes which hold food on the dining table, old upholstery which is now the roof of the security cabin – every piece of furniture, wall and foundation in Vijay Dutt's home for all seasons has a story to tell and a message to (website hidden)-using everything in sight
Pilgrim India Foundation at Dutt's residence practises the 3Rs of waste management to the T. Outside the home you can see the majestic Ficus Elastica. You will never guess that it was a dump yard earlier and that the foundation adopted the tree, cleared out the dump, built a fence and using old tyres, left over paint and waste mud, created a mini rock garden.
The house blends seamlessly with its surroundings – it almost seems like an extension of the greenery outside. There is a perfect balance between light and air at the entry and exit of the hallway giving the impression that there is a connect indoors and outdoors; the squirrels get duped and run to and fro in to the house. At the entrance you can also glimpse a fascinating recycled artwork made from the spare parts of an ambassador car.
The living room is almost carbon free with its recycled furniture and up-cycled upholstery and the feeling permeates as you go through the house -through the organic furnishings, a recycled dog house, old trunks, re-purposed stone slabs, furniture made from water hyacinth, all vying for attention. The Dutt family has spent years in the handicraft and handloom sector, a deep knowledge they bring to the design sensibilities inside the house.
Sharing the joys of earth-friendly living
The fruits of a sustainable life are too precious to be enjoyed alone, say the family – parts have been let out by Pilgrim India as a community center to encourage a holistic lifestyle encompassing art, health, food along with spiritual sessions like a Satsang, yoga, mediation, community gathering for contemplation etc..
Core Initiatives at Five Seasons House:
[Pilgrim India Foundation](IT 80G) was established in 2004, at Rabindranath Tagore Nagar, Bangalore and is an environment minded N.G.O with many earth initiatives at its core. Our five rooms for home stay help fund our foundation activities. Stay and Help!
A vision to have community coordinators all over India,a model facilitating the free flow of goods & services on a 'fair-trade' & 'share-for-sure' basis is waiting to be launched with the co-work model,where we have individual curators & promote crowd sourcing.
* Original valid ID proof and one photocopy to be submitted at the time of check in, guest book to be signed with residential address, email and mobile details - contact person details in case of an emergency.
* As you will be living on a home stay basis basic decency will be expected. In case of late nights beyond 11.00 pm, kindly intimate so that the guard can be informed to open up the gate etc. This precaution is for your safety. Room dustbin has to be kept outside after dry and wet segregation. Shared kitchen should be in the same condition as you find it after you have used it.