Private 1b/1b garage apt w/hardwoods. Queen in bedroom; sofa bed in living room. Apt is privately located behind my bungalow in the historic Eastwood area (Inner loop). Convenient to rail/bus, downtown/GRB/NRG, Med & Toyota Center and universities (UH/Rice/TSU). Full kitchen, updated bathroom and WiFi. 2.4 mi to GRB/Discovery Green. 6.3 mi to NRG Stadium.
This ~550 sq ft garage apt has 4 rooms; kitchen, full bathroom, bedroom and living room. There are spacious 2 closets. The bathroom was renovated in 2009 and the original cast iron bath tub remains. The couch is also a sofa bed, so 2-4 people could stay in the apt....although 4 would be a push. It's really ideal for a single person or couple. There are two AC units (one in the bedroom & one in the living room) & ceiling fans in each room (apart from the bathroom). You can relax in this tranquil space and feel like you are on vacation - even if you are in Houston for work. The kitchen is fully equipped so guests can cook their own meals or try one of Houston's many fantastic restaurants. I also provide some complimentary light snacks and refreshments for your convenience. I also supply an iron, hair dryer and all linens. There are also some toiletries provided in case you forget something. Anything else, please ask!
The apt has a private entrance and is totally separate from my house. Guests are welcome to use the gas BBQ and sit in the back yard. Guests may also park on the concrete slab area in front of the house (off-street parking) - NOT in the driveway, please. There is no washer/dryer in the apt but I am happy to do some laundry occasionally for guests staying longer than a few days. Entry to the garage apt involves walking right by my window so please be courteous if you are arriving back late (i.e. do not talk loudly on your cell phone). It seems like "common sense" but according to previous guests I "should write it in the rules".......
I'm happy to chat if we run into each other but I'm not going to knock on the door and introduce/impose myself as I feel it's a little intrusive.
There is a train track about 1.5 miles away. I am used to it after several years but it could be annoying if you are a light sleeper. The green trash can takes metal, plastic and paper (recycling) - sadly, no longer glass. The black trash can is for regular trash. The neighborhood is still a little transitional, so please be vigilant and lock your car/the apt. I do not walk around the neighborhood by myself after dark (like many parts of Houston) and would not recommend it to others, although previous guests have been determined to. I would also note that this is an older home (1938) and it can be a little quirky - to me, it is part of the charm. Maybe not to everyone's taste. I constantly strive to update and improve the apartment with the funds that I have. Bringing Extra Guests or Pets to this property will cause you to lose your deposit and you may also be asked to vacate the property with no refund. Any extra cleanup, loss or damage incurred to the property during your stay will be billed at the owner's discretion. Also, if you make a reservation for 1 guest and bring extra guests without updating your reservation, I will inform airbnb and they may block your airbnb account. Some hosts (I am one of those) charge extra per additional guest. Please discuss with me.
1) No smoking in the apt (cigarettes or otherwise) - I have 2 smoke alarms in the apt (not to be disabled)
2) No pets in the apt (unless you want to negotiate a higher cleaning fee with me)
3) No candles or incense to be used in the apt, due to the fire risk.
4) Please do not park in my driveway (use the off street concrete area in front of the main house).
5) PLEASE do not raise the blinds in the living room and kitchen. If you want to allow light in, use the small pole which opens the blinds. When they are raised up, they often break and I have to fix it.
6) Please be respectful if you are arriving back to the apt late at night. My bedroom window is next to where you will walk by and loud laughter/talking are intrusive.
7) Please no unauthorized overnight guests. Just give me a heads up if someone additional will be staying.
8) No loud music.....especially after 10pm.
9) No parties/gatherings
10) Absolutely NO bookings under 21 drinking, please.
11) No third party booking i.e. The person booking, must be staying. It is also in violation of Airbnb policies.
12) If you take anything from the apt, I will request the money back through Airbnb. Please give me a heads up if you break something - accidents happen.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation. Let me know if you need anything or if I can help make your stay more comfortable. Happy to help!
Your host, Laura
Born in Scotland. Lived in Houston since 03. I have been an Airbnb host since May 2014, renting out my garage apt. to over 80 guests! Keen soccer player and spectator. Love to try the constant stream of new places to eat out in Houston. Love travel. Work at the British Consulate General (had 13 years in O&G). Volunteer at Saint Arnold Brewing Company (oldest craft brewery in Texas).