Little Annapurna Apartment, one of four apartments in this large house, is positioned on the second floor, quite literally perched high up above Hout Bay valley with an eagle-eyes view. Cosy and comfortable 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, a separate kitchen, and a lounge opening up onto a small wooden deck and enclosed grassed area. Additional facilities on the property are a large sparkling blue pool, a large outside built-in braai (barbeque) area, and 2 firepits, available for use by all guests.
Little Annapurna Apartment is named after a famous mountain in Nepal, as a testimony to its position high up above the Hout Bay valley, which offers guests breath-taking, sweeping views down into the valley and across to the surrounding mountains.
The other three apartments in this large house are also listed on airbnb – Annapurna, Kilima & Little Annapurna – all named after mountain peaks. Needless to say, if you wished to book more than one apartment at a time for your accommodation requirements, this is most definitely possible.
In addition to the 1 bedroom where two persons can be accommodated on a king-sized extra length bed, there are two multipurpose couches that easily convert into single beds in the living area, to accommodate an additional two persons, making a total of four persons that can be accommodated in this apartment. However, please note that the bathroom is off the bedroom, so if there are four of you, you need to walk into the bedroom to access the bathroom.
The bedroom is small -sized and has a king-sized extra length bed. There is sufficient cupboard space. The bathroom is small, has a shower, toilet and basin and a spacious vanity cupboard.
The apartment is tiled through-out. The kitchen has solid wood counters. The bedrooms lighting has dimmer switches, so you can control the brightness of the light to suit your personal preference. Wall-mounted heater panels in all the rooms provide extra comfort for those chilly nights.
There is an outside laundry area with washline, washing machine and tumble drier that is available for your personal use. It is undercover, so your washing won’t get wet if there’s unexpected rainfall.
The garden, the pool, the large outside built-in braai (barbeque) area, and the two firepits, are communal and available for use by all guests. The pool is a salt-water chlorine mix pool, which is predominantly salt. There are outside table and chairs positioned at key points through-out the property for guests to make use of whilst they enjoy the garden and make use of the entertainment areas.
Please note that the photographs on this listing do not reflect the current furnishings in the apartment, as we are undergoing a refurnishing process.
So, why are we refurnishing the apartments? We ran a guesthouse from our property about 10 years ago, and these photographs are from then. Over the last 7 years, we have been leasing the property to long-term tenants, and no longer as a guesthouse. Now, we are once again making our property available for travel-accommodation, and short-term guests. So many years down the line, we don’t have that same furniture any longer as you see in the pictures, and are currently undergoing the refurnishing process. However, you can still get a very good idea from these pictures of the vibe of the property and what it will offer you.
Is our property kid-friendly? We have had many children live at the property and the parents have been more than happy with the safety features we have put in place, which I'll describe more now. However, if you are a very cautious parent, you might not feel at ease with our property. There is one big staircases leading from the parking area to the front door of the apartment. There is several large staircases leading to the pool and entertainment areas. Although there are railings on the various levels in the garden, there are small gaps inbetween the steel bars.
Our children-safety features are railings on all staircases and a wooden pool fence.
The garden, pool area and outside entertainment areas are for communal use by all guests. However, the spacious wooden deck off the living area of the apartment is for your use only.
We personally are hands-off hosts, since we live in another city, however we are most definitely available on our mobile/cellphone and by email. In addition, we will make available to you an off-site host that is available to attend to your personal needs. If you require more specific hands-on assistance with your stay in Cape Town, we can certainly step it up and provide what you need. All we need from you if to communicate that with us upfront, so we can know what to arrange in advance. Things we an assist with:-
- Airport transfers
- Own-driving car hire
- Driver-equipped car hire
- Catering for any meals
- Catering for wheelchair requirements
- Guided or Non-Guided Tours of the Cape Peninsula
- Recommendations of restaurants, tourist spots, must-sees, depending on whether you want to have more of a high-level tourist experience or more of a local-flavoured experience
- Warnings of what to avoid
- We also have access to accommodation through-out South Africa through a timeshare-program, which can provide you access to accommodation in almost every tourist destination spot in the country, including safari-type destinations like Kruger National Park.
- Having travelled South Africa extensively ourselves, we can also assist you in tailoring a travel plan for the country.
- In addition, we have local insights into nearby countries - Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique. If you wish to expand your trip to beyond the South African borders, we may be able to continue to assist you.
- We are not a travel agency. We are just locals that know their country really well and have travelled themselves to these other countries and so have some on-the-ground insights.
Richard speaks fluent English and Dutch, and a spattering of French and German.
Shanna speaks fluent English.
- The property is shared with other guests, as we have 4 apartments that are used by AirBNB guests. Please be considerate of others on the property. Treat others as you would like to be treated. Be a good neighbour.
- Parking is only in the prescribed parking bays, which are sign-posted. Please don't park in other guests parking bays, or park more than your allocated number of vehicles on the premises. If you have visitors, please instruct them to park in the road. It is safe.
- Please close the pool gate when you enter/exit the pool area. There are 2 gates. If a gate is left standing open or unsecured, it is a safety risk for children who can get into the pool area and they may not know how to swim.
Richard (48 yrs) & Shanna Heijberg (38 yrs) look forward to being your hosts. We are passionate about exploring this wonderful planet earth, and of the many destinations, Cape Town is close to our hearts. It is seemingly thus far unmatched in beauty and versatility, for both visitors and residents.
Things we really enjoy and are passionate about: Music. Movies. Animals. Hiking. The ocean, beach sand and swimming in the salty sea. Coffee. White wine for Richard, red wine for Shanna. Good food. Fine dining. Of course, travel. Family.
Shanna grew up in Cape Town, in the Constantia winelands. Richard grew up in Rotterdam, Holland and moved to South African in his teenage years.
We have owned this property together for over 10 years, bought just after we got married in 2005. It was a poorly neglected house at the time, and we set out to extensively renovate it into what it is today. The project was demanding yet fulfilling and we believe we have together presented a beautiful, tranquil property, which many-a-guest has fallen in love with.
Our style of hosting is unfortunately a distant one. We no longer live in Cape Town, since we relocated to Johannesburg in the northern part of South Africa for an exciting and unusual adventure. But Cape Town is still our home, and this property in Hout Bay, where our heart rests. So you will be co-hosted by a hand-selected, capable host, who will provide all that we normally would, on our behalf. You will always be in good hands.
Life mottos: Do not go gentle into that good night. This too shall pass. Live and let live.
As people, we are a combination of easy-going and accommodating, but we will stand to be counted when it counts. We are peaceable persons, but warrior fighters for our cause. But what has that got to do with our hosting you? Don't know, but maybe some of that will resonate with you and you'll hear the deep beating song that we dance to, when you allow us to host you in our unique and awe-inspiring Hout Bay, Cape Town.