This is a FRIDAY to FRIDAY rental. Pets welcome!
A casual, semi-rustic house with modern amenities, close to nature & the occasional deer. Located on a sandy road in a quiet enclave of summer homes. Golden sunshine by day; a zillion stars at night. Walk to bay in minutes, to the ocean & across the road to wildlife refuge & scenic trails.
Please note! The house is 5 miles and a short ferry ride from "civilization" for groceries, ATM, restaurants, etc.
Chappy is one of the most beautiful and uncrowded areas of Martha's Vineyard. It's a small island surrounded by gorgeous beaches and the pace is slow. Summer continues on Chappy into September! Swimming, boating, fishing, biking. Cool evenings by the fireplace.
WHAT YOU'LL FIND
The house is low-key and semi-rustic: wood-paneled walls, painted pine floors, country furnishings. The house sits close to nature, the sea and the sky.
- 3 bedrooms (two of them are very snug)
- 1.5 baths
- living room with wood stove
- separate dining room with fireplace
- well-equipped kitchen
- quiet work space
- four decks, one with water views
- large front yard
- enclosed outdoor shower
- charcoal barbecue grill
- perennial garden
- high speed internet
- TV/DVD player (poor to no television reception)
- record player with electic collection of LPs
- washing machine
Please note: No dryer. Clotheslines in sunny side yard.
- microwave, coffee maker, coffee grinder, blender, toaster
- lobster pot
- ice-cream maker
- fire wood is included with rental
VERY CLOSE TO THE HOUSE
- Katama Bay: calm waters for swimming, kayaking, sailing.
- Atlantic Ocean: miles of gorgeous beaches with few people, world-famous fishing point.
- Wasque Reservation: egrets, red-tailed hawks, shore birds and more.
- Land Bank: scenic nature trails through conservation property.
There is no public transportation on Chappy. Explore by car, bicycle and on foot.
THE "OTHER SIDE"
Take the Chappy Ferry to Edgartown, a historic, very walkable 19th-century village with beautiful architecture, restaurants, shops, a movie house and a nautical museum.
Guests have run of the entire house and front and back yards. There is plenty of off-street parking. No access to shed and storage areas.
You can reach me anytime by phone, text and email. I have friends and family who live nearby and can be of help.
1. CANCELLATION POLICY Because of the difficulty obtaining advance ferry tickets in the summer to travel to Martha's Vineyard, my cancellation policy is stricter than the 7-day window indicated under "Cancellation Policy." I need at least 3 weeks advance notice so that another guest has a half decent chance of securing ferry tickets. Thank you for your understanding!
2. LEASE After booking with Airbnb is completed, I prepare a lease for signing by guest and host. The lease will specify provisions of the rental--essentially what appears in this listing--with the purpose of ensuring there are no misunderstandings on either the guest's part or mine.
3. This is a FRIDAY (check-in anytime after 3 p.m.) to FRIDAY (check out at 10 a.m.) rental. Guests who do not check out by 10 a.m., when the housecleaner arrives, will be charged a fee equivalent to one night's stay, which will be deducted from the security deposit.
4. Please bring sheets and towels, or let me know if you'd like contact info for the island's reasonably-priced linen supplier.
- Pets are welcome. Dog owners, please dispose of any leavings in the yard. (Pooper scooper at house.) Dogs are not allowed on beds or other furniture!
- Chappy is very quiet and sound carries. Please be mindful of the neighbors. Bring merrymaking indoors after 9 p.m.
- Unless you're an experienced fire builder, please do not use the wood stove or fireplace. The risk of the house going up in flames is too great.
I’m a writer who’s lucky enough to trade the chaos of Manhattan Island for the tranquility of Chappaquiddick Island. Our low-key Chappy house and its beautiful surroundings are incredibly relaxing and restorative. I invite you to come and enjoy it all.