Croeso! Relax and unwind in a comfortable cottage in magnificent Snowdonia. Perfectly situated to explore the stunning natural beauty and adventures that North Wales has to offer. Have your pick of beaches, mountains, woods, castles, classic steam trains, and the unique Italianate village of Portmeirion... All within minutes of your cosy home away from home.
Hillside Cottage is a quaint and rustic old home which has stood in the tiny village of Talsarnau for over 150 years. It is ideally situated in stunning Snowdonia between the larger towns of Harlech and Porthmadog. As a former slate miners cottage, Hillside retains some of the old charm of times gone by, including an open fire, exposed floor boards and slate floor.
The cottage is run on electricty only as there is no gas in the village at all. There are electric radiators in every room but there are also plenty of throw blankets and nice warm duvets in the bedrooms because cuddling is more fun!
Pets are quite welcome at Hillside as long as the rules are followed. Please let us know when you book if you will be bringing a furry family member with you so we can prepare.
On the ground floor there is a sitting room with a large open fireplace perfect for warming up after a long day out and about. We want you to indulge all of your firestarting fantasies but please be careful and always use the screen when the fire is roaring! We will leave logs for the fire but should you find that you're particularly keen on the warmth, sounds, and scents of burning wood, then you can easily top up your stash locally. In the living room you will also find a smart TV with freeview, complimentary Netflix and Amazon Prime, catch-up apps (like BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, and All 4), and a small selection of books.
Also on the ground floor is a dining room with a table that comfortably seats six. This also makes a great work/study area if you absolutely, positively must work while away. In the cabinet there you'll also find a small assortment of games.
The kitchen is fully outfitted with everything you'll need for your stay (electric kettle, cafetières, microwave, toaster, utensils, pots & pans, etc). There's even a washing machine if hiking gets messy (no dryer but there's a clothesline out on the back patio). There is access to the back patio from the door in the kitchen via some steep steps. Take care on them!
There is also a handy loo and washbasin on the ground floor hidden away under the stairs.
To find your beds you'll go up the very narrow stairs to the second floor. The house is quite old and we think it may have been inhabited by elves with tiny feet who built this staircase long ago so please go slowly and use the handrails!
Upstairs you'll find your bed in one of three lovely and spacious bedrooms: two with double beds and one with two single beds ideal for kids or non-couples.
Also on the second floor you'll find the full bathroom and another door to the back patio through the back bedroom (handy for late nighters, star gazers and smokers as there is no smoking inside).
The back patio is a delightful and peaceful place to have a cup of coffee in the morning and start the day right. There is a table and seating as well as a small charcoal burning barbeque for those who like to grill over the fire in the evening.
We decided to become hosts because we love this area and want others to fall in love with it, as well! We love to travel and we want to provide the same comforts that we enjoy when we stay away from home. There is honestly something for everyone in the area and we're happy to help any way we can. We live only a few minutes from the cottage in Porthmadog and are available via email, text and apps which we aim to reply to as quickly as possible, We're happy to make suggestions and be as helpful as possible. If you need us, we're on hand but this is your holiday and we are happy to leave you to enjoying it!
Hillside is located directly on the High Street and there is some street parking out front. We usually find a spot but the summer can get quite busy. If there is no parking directly out front, there is plenty of parking in a large well-lit village car park approximately 100 yards away. Just turn down the road by the Ship Aground and you'll see it on the left straight away.
Watch Your Feet and Heads!
This is an old cottage with oodles of character and some quirks. The indoor stairs are narrow and the outdoor steps are steep! Please use handrails and watch your step! We also provide a gate for families with small children. The kitchen doorway is low and deceiving so if you have extra inches... duck!
We also happily provide you with the following:
Iron and Ironing Board
Graco Play Pen
Removable gate for the stairs
Some doggie stuff
- Check in is any time after 3PM. Please be sure to check out by 11AM (unless a later time has been pre-arranged) as we need time to clean and prepare for any arriving guests.
- Absolutely no smoking indoors. You may smoke out front or on the patio in back but please do not leave butts on the floors.
- No parties or events. This is a tiny town and the people are friendly and respectful. Please be courteous to the neighbours. Please keep noise down after 10pm.
- May not be safe or suitable for toddlers. Children of all ages are very, very welcome but please keep in mind that there is a large open fireplace, there are steep, narrow stairs inside (we do have a removeable gate for wandering kiddos), there are more steep stairs to the patio, and the patio area itself may not be safe for younger children. If you come with small children, please be very watchful!
- Always use the guard when fireplace is in use!
- No meals in the living room. Crisps, fruit, dry snacks are perfectly fine but please do not bring your takeaway or cooked meals to eat on the sofas and chairs!
- Please let us know when booking if you will be bringing any pets so that we can be prepared. :)
- No pets on furniture or beds (sorry!).
- Please do not leave pets alone in the house. No matter how well-behaved an animal is, leaving them alone in a strange environment can be unsafe and unfair.
- No shoes on the carpets, please! Please leave wet/muddy shoes on the stone floor or on the shoe rack in the corner. (Please wipe muddy paws, too!)
- Please Recycle! Our green bins are collected only once every four weeks (you read that right!) so please be aware of this and recycle as much as possible. If you have an excessive amount of rubbish, please drop it at the Harlech Recycling Centre only a few minutes away.
- Please do not adjust the electric radiators. There are electric heaters in every room which are preset and use a thermostat. These should keep you comfortable throughout the day. If you find that is not the case, just let us know!
- Finally, please treat the cottage as you would your own (or a friend's) home. The same common sense and respect for property and neighbours should apply here as would elsewhere. We don't expect you to clean the house on leaving, but please don't leave a disaster zone either! :)
Hi! I'm Jess. I live in Porthmadog with my partner Aled and our lively and entertaining animals.
Aled was born and raised right here in the heart of North Wales and I'm a transplant from New York, NY with ever-changing hair colours. The beauty and pace of Snowdonia are quite unique. How many people can say that they've hiked up a mountain in the morning and strolled on the beach in the afternoon? And on a clear night there are more stars in the sky than you've ever imagined were possible to see.
Things we love:
Our animals (honestly a slightly crazy amount - they even have their own hashtags)
Film (Aled and I are huge movie buffs... In fact, Aled can be found on Welsh radio and TV from time to time chatting about film-related things)
Travelling (we'll go practically anywhere and are currently on a quest to visit all 51 countries in Europe within the next few years)
Adventure! (we love trying new and exciting things of all kinds)
When we travel we keep ourselves pretty busy and are often out about from morning until night. We love to wander, people watch and find out about local treasures wherever we go. At the end of the night we are grateful to get back to a comfortable and welcoming place where we can relax and unwind.
As hosts we want to provide the same comforts that we enjoy when we stay away from home. We decided to become hosts because we love this area and want others to fall in love with it, as well! There is honestly something for everyone and we're happy to help any way we can. We live only a few minutes from the cottage and are happy to make suggestions and be as helpful as possible. If you need us, we're available but this is your holiday and we are happy to leave you to enjoying it!