Coastal home built in 2015 with views of Old Caney Creek, the Intracoastal Waterway and the Gulf of Mexico. Great place to relax and unwind. Watch the sunrise from the front deck or the sunset from downstairs. Just south of Surfside and north of Matagorda, Sargent is a sleepy fishing village. Has a great beach for beach combers and some of the best fishing on the Texas Gulf Coast. Because of its close proximity to San Bernard National Wildlife Refuge, Sargent is a great place to bird watch.
* HOUSE RULES*
* MINIMUM 2 night stay
* HOLIDAYS AND SPRING BREAK: 3 night stay required
* HOLIDAYS: Spring Break, Easter, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Eve
* NO SMOKING in house. Please dispose of butts in proper containers
* CHECK-IN is after 3pm on day of arrival
* EARLY CHECK-IN - only if pre-approved by owner
* CHECK OUT is by 11:00 am on day of departure.
* LATE CHECK OUT - only if pre-approved by owner
* NO PETS allowed
* MINIMUM AGE to rent is 25
* CHILDREN - must be supervised as the house is not child proofed. Feel free to bring things to accommodate your infant or toddler.
* CANCELLATION DUE TO WEATHER - Only Named Storms in the Gulf that affect Sargent will be considered for cancellation due to weather.
* SAND - please rinse sand off of EVERYTHING AND YOURSELF before heading upstairs. Let's keep the sand at the beach . There are faucets at the small park on the island to wash before even getting back into your car :).
*NO FISH CLEANING - there is a very nice cleaning station across the ICW where the public boat ramp is.
I was born and raised in Austin, Texas and still live here with my husband. We are empty nesters except for our two doxies. Our two daughters went and grew up on us! We are lifelong vacationers of the Texas Gulf coast and our dream has always been to have a place of our own. I had never heard of Sargent until my husband came across it in an add for a rental. Our first trip was in May 2014 and we fell in love with everything about it! So much so that our dream came true last June when we became the proud owners of the Barge Inn! Our view includes the Intracoastal Waterway. The water traffic on the ICW includes barges, shrimp boats, sailboats, and fishing boats, hence the name Barge Inn.
Sargent has the last operational swing bridge in the state. Soon it will be gone due to the building of a new bridge that will go over the ICW. Come quick so you can see it and drive over it before it is gone.
The beach has always been my go to place of peace. There are days that I have been the only person on the beach here in Sargent, hunting for treasures and getting my soul salt on! I have never found such a variety of shells! I also like the days when the fish are biting. It looks so cool with all the rods lined up in holders and everyone just waiting to see one bow up with a fish tugging on the other end! And the birds! I have never seen the variety or amount of birds in my entire life. Before I started watching birds in Sargent, I had only seen a handful of our beautiful Roseate Spoonbills. Last week, (March 2017) I counted twenty in the creek across from our front deck. It is amazing to watch a flock fly right over the house. You don’t even hear them coming and it still takes my breath away every time.
There is still so much to see in this little piece of untainted paradise of the Texas Gulf Coast. Come stay a while!