LIVE LIKE THE LOCALS, UNDERGROUND AND PEACEFUL.
Welcome to our beautiful home. Relax after a long journey in comfortable, quiet serenity of underground accommodation. Our home was hand dug in the 70's and boasts amazing rockwork. It has 3 bedrooms, a BBQ area, internet, personal spa bath and ample parking. There is a fireplace for a homely feel and warmth ($15/n), also fans throughout.This is booked out as a whole home, so why book separately, join together for more affordable accommodation.
- extra people will be charged $25/person per night so please check guest numbers before booking to avoid embarassment
- Checkout time is 10.30 am
- The dugout is remarkably soundproof, however out of respect to neighbours, it would be appreciated if you could keep the noise low between the hours of 11pm- 7am
- Pets are welcome however they must be left outside at all times
- The fireplace is open and lit on request for an extra charge of $15/night. When in use, please take care, as well as supervise children at all times. I take no responsibility for any burns. Any damage due to fire will be charged.
- Any problems please call me directly on mobile
Coober Pedy has been my main residence for 21 years, moving here from Mackay Qld with my husband and our 5 children in 1996 to opal mine which we did until my husband passed away suddenly about 18 months after moving here. I have continued to opal mine part time for most of the last 20 years.
Before moving to Coober Pedy my occupation had always been hospitality and working with people so in 1998 I decided to purchase an underground restaurant and ran that for 5 yrs. In 1998 I also met my current partner Jeff who was a local fencing contractor (patrolled several different areas of the SA Dog Fence over a long time) and an opal miner.
After selling my restaurant, I moved to Kangaroo Island with my 13yr old son and managed the Sports and Recreation Club in American River. (The other kids had grown up and fled the nest)
Missing Coober Pedy I returned and worked as a gaming manager at the local hotel for several years, a bar attendant at the Italian Club, also managed the local newspaper. In 2008 I joined Jeff fencing, as preferred contractors to 3 mining companies in the vicinity of Coober Pedy. Jeff retired 2015.
Over all this time my passion was and still is renovating. I purchased my dugouts 3 months after my husband died, making "Di's Place our family home, and have over the last 20 yrs done just that, renovated. I finally opened my 2 lovely dugouts up as accommodation in April to share with people around the world.