Welcome to Patience Hill! A beautiful stone mansion built in 1927 by well-known Philadelphia architect Herman Wohlsen for Harry and Agnes Shand Hostetter. It is said that Harry established the name "Patience Hill" after Agnes' impatience with the building process. This elegant, iconic Lancaster property is a truly special place that is great for a romantic getaway, couples, business travelers, and solo adventurers looking for something historical and distinctive.
Patience Hill is a country estate full of grace and charm, and with a rich history. It is minutes from downtown Lancaster and major highways, and just up the road from the Lancaster Country Club. It sits on a private 4.6 acre lot with beautiful landscaping, a fountain, a sitting pavilion, and a grotto. The property had been unoccupied for several years when we rescued and then lovingly renovated it for modern living, and to exceed its prior grandeur. It is truly a place meant to be shared, and we look forward to sharing it with you!
Guests will enjoy a private bedroom with ensuite bath in the South wing of the home. Your room is thoughtfully equipped with a luxury pillow-top mattress and quality bedding for a good night's sleep. There is plenty of storage and closet space, and tasteful decor. The bathroom was completely renovated and includes a walk-in shower. Ample private, on-site parking. We are pleased to offer morning coffee service and local pastries in the kitchen or dining room. Additional kitchen (no cooking, sorry!) and laundry access may be available on a prearranged, individual basis.
Please refer to our House Rules before booking.
We value the opportunity to meet our guests, while also providing them with as much privacy, or interaction, as they desire. We are always ready to share a glass of wine in our wine room.
Please let us know if you need anything, something is not working correctly, or is not up to par. We live here too, and one of us is always around.
We will be more than happy to help locate points of interest or to make local recommendations. Lancaster County and the surrounding areas have so much to offer!
We have 2 cats. They will not be near your private space, but do reside here.
Just an FYI, our home security system does include video, but of course not in your private space.
- This room is suitable for 1 or 2 persons, not 3 or more. No additional guests permitted in the home other than those registered at time of booking.
- No pets. We love them but our kitties do not.
- No smoking anywhere in the home or on the property. This includes e-cigs.
- Our home is not child-proof, and is not safe or suitable for children.
- We are a shoeless household. There is a place as you enter to remove and store your footwear.
- This is our personal residence, and we take great pride in keeping our historical home in the best shape we can. We make every effort to provide our guests with a lovely and enjoyable stay. In return, we expect our guests to act responsibly, and to respect all aspects of the property as if it were you own treasured space.