The Square Elephant:
Nature. Silence. Solitude. Peace. Ocean views. Champagne air.
Unique state-of-art off-grid luxury converted shipping container on mountainside near Hermanus with stunning 360-degree views over ocean, lagoon, mountains, fynbos, fields and forests.
Elegantly-finished “tiny home” offers 2 bedrooms: one with double bed and other with two bunk beds (designed for adults).
Gas BBQ. Hot tub. Huge deck. Sunsets.
Dog-friendly environment for off-leash walks.
Why the name “The Square Elephant”?
Because this uniquely converted shipping container is the same gray colour as an elephant and, like the elephant, it blends seamlessly into its bush environment.
You will feel totally secluded and remote, but, in reality you're still conveniently close to all tourist amenities. Most guests simply settle in and unwind in the blissful solitude, relax on the recliners with a good book, go for long walks and of course, dream away in the hot tub with glorious, beautiful nature surrounding you in all directions. Then you wish you had booked for another week. Departing is tough... we know.
After booking you will receive exact directions to the security gate and will be provided with your own gate remote for the duration of your stay.
Within 10-45 minutes’ drive:
Fisherhaven: Botriver lagoon for swimming, sailing, waterskiing, neighborhood pub, convenience store and more...
Arabella Estate: World Renowned Golf Resort
Hermanus: Famous for the best land-based whale watching in the world, Hermanus is only 15-20 drive and offers miles of safe beaches and coves, good restaurants, great golf and other sports facilities and a unique foot path stretching 12km along the oceanfront.
Endless world-class regional wineries and wine-tasting experiences up the Hemel ‘n Aarde Valley.
We're only a phone call away.
You will be provided with the security gate remote (to come and go as you please) and house key on arrival. R200 key deposit will be returned to you when you leave.
A delightful bottle of local wine awaits you in the fridge and first morning basics of tea, coffee etc are provided in the unit.
Enjoy your stay!
Communications: Free unlimited wifi and good cell phone reception. All electrical outlets include USB plugs for your mobile devices.
The Square Elephant is totally off-grid. Electricity is provided by solar power. We cannot guarantee continuous power during prolonged cloudy or rainy weather when the sun cannot charge the batteries. We provide lots of lanterns, torches and candles (lovely atmosphere). Stove, BBQ, hot water etc., are gas-operated. The fridge is electrical, so do plan your perishables accordingly in forecast rain conditions.
The Western Cape lies in a convection zone, so weather can be highly variable regardless of the season.
Summer days can be hotter on the mountain than at sea level and the nights cooler. Because of the elevation, winds are often brisker. Prevailing summer wind is South East and the deck is largely protected from the wind, making it ideal to sit outside to delight in the views and the sunsets.
Winter days are typically crisp blue skies and nights are brilliantly clear with the Milky Way as you have never seen it before. We do get storms, however, and winter nights can be chilly sometimes with gusty winds off the ocean. The deck is largely protected by remote-control heavy mesh blinds that drop down and clip to the deck. These help to keep wind and rain off the deck - perfect weather for the steaming hot tub and hot chocolate or a bottle of wine!
You are invited to hike anywhere on the property. It's fun to walk to the top of the mountain and enjoy the stunning views over Hermanus, Walker Bay and Onrus. It’s about 2.5-hour round hiking trip and may be quite strenuous. Pack a picnic lunch and relax at the top. You can drive up there, but only in a 4x4.
Enjoy the year-round profusion of wild flowers and pristine fynbos. A number of rare and endangered species have been identified on the mountain, so please take only photos, not flowers.
- This unique off-grid converted container concept is designed specifically with adults in mind who seek a relaxing wilderness environment to escape city stress or to enjoy a romantic getaway. Therefore we cannot recommend this property as suitable for children under 12; there are child safety concerns such as thick surrounding bush, unfenced deck, wood-fired hot tub and no child sleep rails on the bunk beds.
AirBnB's age cutoff is 12 years, however, please send us a request if your child is nine years or older, we are usually happy to accept them. We know that many kids just love the bush.
- We certainly welcome small, well-behaved dogs who accompany their humans. This is a safe place for off-leash walks and jogs along the mountain trails, offering dogs new and exciting smells. Please control your dog from chasing or harming any wilderness creatures.
Please bring your dog's bedding. After having to replace our sheets, linens and velour throws several times because of unremovable pet hair, we must insist no dogs in the bed or on the upholstered furniture. If you plan to bring more than one dog or a large dog, please do not use Instant Booking.
(This is not a safe place for cats or pets other than dogs.)
- Nature Reserve Rules: Please do not throw anything into the bush, not even a cigarette butt or a small chicken bone. This is a pristine fynbos wilderness area. While there are no large predators in the area such as leopard, there are many smaller critters that call this place home. Please respect their space. You may see buck, rare blue crane, porcupines (night only), rare mountain tortoise, mongoose, genet, baboons and likely many other fynbos dwellers.
- Electricity: This amazing eco-retreat is totally off-grid, clean and green. It is solar-powered and while you still have the conveniences of 220V appliances like wifi, fridge, hair dryer and microwave, we ask you please do not over-burden the system by using too many appliances at once. In winter, power might be erratic if many cloudy or rainy days in a row. We provide battery-operated lanterns, torches and candles... a perfect romantic scenario.
- Breakages: We know that accidents do happen, but we will still need to deduct damages over R100 from your deposit accordingly (like dog hair in the bed linens).
- Cleaning: The Square Elephant is totally self-catering and we do not offer a cleaning service or linen change for stays of four nights or less. We supply cleaning materials under the sink for dishes, glasses etc.
The unit is thoroughly cleaned on departure of each guest to ensure the highest quality for the next incoming guest. We take photos before each guest's arrival and again immediately after their departure.
- Hot Tub Instructions: This is the famous KolKol wood-fired hot tub, which is safe to use in the sensitive fynbos area. After each guest leaves, the hot tub is drained and cleaned. Please do not drain it yourself. Before each new guest arrives, the hot tub is filled and the fire is made. We provide the first bag of wood. The cover is placed on the water surface to keep it warm. Simply remove the cover when using the tub and replace it after use. Be careful not to touch the hot chimney or fire container lid with your bare hands.
Then simply slide into the hot tub, pick up your glass of wine and ENJOY!
There is no light pollution here: as you lie back in the tub, you will enjoy stunning sunsets and marvel at the billions of stars in the Milky Way.
- Walking and hiking: You are free to roam over the whole 250 hectares of our private nature reserve. On arrival you'll be shown best places to stroll, hike up the and view Hermanus and Walker Bay. You can drive to the top of the mountain in a 4x4 only; anything else might get stuck or break something.
从2017年11月01日 - 2018年1月10日起最少住宿2晚。