Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort
The tall, peaked roofs of Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort seem to pay homage to the Sierra Nevada mountains that encircle Lake Tahoe. Located on the lake’s southern edge, just outside the town of South Lake Tahoe, the resort grants easy access to the region’s countless natural wonders. After days spent outdoors, it’s an easy trip to the bars, dance clubs, and blackjack tables in the casino district just a mile away, across the Nevada state line.
• Perfect location: Just steps from Lake Tahoe’s southern beach.
• Dining options: Cook a meal in your room’s kitchen, or dine at The Bear Moon Bar & Grill. Here, a James Beard award-winning chef cooks meals such as sesame-crusted ahi.
• Indoor recreation: includes air hockey, foosball, and a heated indoor swimming pool.
• Hit the slopes at Heavenly Mountain Resort, one of the region’s most popular ski resorts, located less than two miles from the resort.
• Rent a DVD from the front desk, then watch on your room’s flat-screen TV.
South Lake Tahoe, California: Year-Round Haven for Outdoor Adventures and Late-Night Revelry
Lake Tahoe has no real off-season; people find ways to make use of its pristine water, beaches, and mountains all year long. In the summer, the lake’s clear, freshwater surface—which straddles the California-Nevada border—is dotted with swimmers, boaters, and jet skiers. Several ski resorts with world-class slopes typically stay open from November to April, and Emerald Bay State Park is accessible year-round. A moderately easy hike to the base of Lower Eagle Falls reveals breathtaking views of the waterfalls crashing down from above.
A diverse crowd of spectators gathers at night for South Lake Tahoe’s various events, which range from wine and food festivals to rock concerts and fireworks displays. A few miles northwest of South Lake Tahoe sits Stateline, Nevada, where a handful of casinos host high-stakes games of blackjack and solitaire.
• Nearest airport: Reno-Tahoe International Airport (RNO; 58 miles)
• Distance from Reno, NV: 60 miles
The Fine Print
• Traveler name must match ID at time of check-in
• Must be 21 or older to check in
• Credit card required at check-in
• $100 refundable security deposit on major credit or debit card required at check-in.
• One king bed and one sofa bed
• Standard occupancy: 4
• Maximum occupancy: 4
• Check in: 4 p.m.
• Check out: 10 a.m.
• Parking: first two vehicles are included with resort fee; additional vehicles are $20 per day
• Rollaways: available upon request
• Smoking policy: no smoking inside the property
• Pet policy: pets are not allowed inside the property.
• Accessibility: handicap-accessible rooms are not available.