We (three adults and four kids) booked this house for the long Thanksgiving weekend. When we arrived, we noticed a very strong smell, something like scented cleaning supplies or air freshener. We unpacked, assuming that we would just get used to it. Instead of getting used to the smell, I started to have a reaction to it after about 20 minutes; my voice started to get rough and my sinuses were inflamed. I have a standard cat allergy, but I’m not really sensitive to anything else. The smell gave my husband a headache too, and nothing ever bothers him. The smell was so strong we had to go outside.
Cozi left a key for us to get in, and she came over about an hour after we arrived. When we mentioned our reactions to the smell, she told us that she was in the “natural cleansers” industry and only used gentle products in the house. But, she also mentioned that she used bleach and Fabreze (I'm not sure how that fits with natural products). So, something didn’t seem right about her explanation from the beginning. Later, she said she took over the house recently and that it had been sitting vacant for over 10 years before she got it. So, my opinion is that there was a smell she needed to cover up.
After talking a bit, Cozi said something like, “Yes, you shouldn’t stay here if you’re having a reaction.” So, we changed our entire plan for the holiday weekend, which is not easy at 5pm on the day before Thanksgiving, especially when you have a party with 4 kids. But, we had no choice because we couldn’t stay somewhere that was making us sick.
Even worse, we never heard anything from Cozi again! We contacted her through the website to try to work out some sort of settlement, but she never responded. Nothing. No response. I think it’s really unfair for her to decide to keep all of the money we paid for four nights, even though we were there for less than an hour. And, it’s especially obnoxious to not have the common decency to talk about it. Not even one word of a reply. I don't believe in treating people this way.
In addition to the smell, anyone thinking about staying here should ask for more pictures. When we booked, there were only four pictures posted. The pictures were accurate in terms of what they showed, but they definitely left out lots of other things we would have wanted to know. For example, nothing in the house seems to have been updated since the 1930s (or earlier), except a tired, 70’s style Jacuzzi tub. The bathroom tiles, kitchen, appliances, floors, etc. are old old old. Also, the main bedroom has only a small lamp with a single bulb in it on the floor; none of the switches turned on the master bedroom overhead light. To be fair, the surfaces were not grimy, only really worn.