Book your romantic fall or winter getaway now! Owl Moon Cottage is an elegant, super-cozy, and very private vacation retreat for nature lovers, located right within the Finger Lakes State Park. Just 8 miles to fabulous dining, shopping and cultural events in downtown Ithaca. Close to wine trails. Wheelchair accessible with fully equipped kitchen, handcrafted cherry cabinets, gorgeous locally milled hardwood floors, luxurious beds & bedding, tiled bath, spacious deck, and meditation loft.
Owl Moon Cottage is an elegant, sustainably designed, and very private vacation retreat for nature lovers. Newly built in 2016, the cottage is wheelchair accessible and also family-friendly, small but comfortable and full of light. The interior space is 345 square feet with an additional loft area of 120 square feet. A spacious deck (600 square feet) wraps around the cottage on 3 sides, with a wheelchair ramp up the 4th side.
The open space design features:
* Fully equipped kitchen with handcrafted cherry cabinets, apartment-sized refrigerator and freezer, full-sized oven and electric range.
* Accessible tiled bathroom with tub and shower.
* Sleeping alcove with luxurious Queen bed, dresser, night table and twin reading lamps.
* Two spacious window seats with high-density foam cushions, which can serve as beds for two children or teens.
* Loft area with two Twin Extra Long beds, which can be moved together to create a King size bed. Access to the loft can be blocked if guests or hosts have safety concerns.
* Cathedral ceiling, with large windows facing east and south
* Gorgeous hand-finished hardwood floor, made from locally harvested ash.
You have the cottage entirely to yourselves, including the surrounding yard and garden. There are two parking spaces for your use. You may use the laundry machines in the main house as needed. Please do not visit the livestock without one of us, and be sure to keep children away from the electric fence surrounding the pasture.
We're happy to interact with you as much or as little as you desire. The cottage is designed to maximize your privacy, but at least one of us is available at all times if you need assistance or information. Feel free to ask for a tour of our homestead, and suggestions for our favorite restaurants, hiking trails and other attractions. We do provide an information packet in the cottage in case you prefer to be left alone.
We have done our best to make Owl Moon Cottage accessible for all our guests. However we are not ADA certified. If you have any questions please do contact us in advance. We would be happy to provide specific measurements and/or photos so that you can assess whether the cottage meets your needs.
OUR HOMESTEAD Let us know if you or your children are interested in learning about gardening, raising animals, putting up veggies for the winter, making cheese, and other basic skills. We'd be glad to include you in some of our homesteading activities. Many hands make light work!
The loft area is available for your use, but at your own risk. Although the ladder is steady and the railings are solid, there is still a danger of children or adults falling and suffering serious injury. Access to the loft will be blocked if guests or hosts have concerns about safety/liability.
- Please do your best to keep quiet hours between 10pm and 8am.
- We love hosting families! Please make sure your children are under supervision at all times.
- For your safety and that of our livestock, please don't visit the animals without supervision.
- Gatherings: Owl Moon Cottage is a great place to gather your family and friends, as long as the numbers aren't too big. Please talk to us BEFORE BOOKING if you'd like to work out an exception to our No Parties rule.
- Thanks and Enjoy!
As Newly Retired People, my husband Art and I are thoroughly enjoying our liberation! Building Owl Moon Cottage is our first major post-retirement project, and part of our retirement strategy. We wanted a way to continue to make interesting new friends from around the world, while staying at home on our little homestead farm, puttering in the garden.
We grow almost all our own veggies, and spend an inordinate amount of time in the kitchen or at the grill, cooking and enjoying great meals. Our chickens and two lovely goats - Chloe and Pearl - provide us with eggs and milk, and I make goat cheese 2-3 times each week. (Ask me and I might share some.) Our highly enthusiastic and energetic doggie Uila ("Lightning" in Hawaiian) rounds out the household.
Art and I have been married since 1981 (OMG!) and we've raised three awesome children right here in Ithaca. Both of us are in recovery from pretty demanding careers.* We moved with our whole family to a banana grove on Maui for a couple years in there somewhere. We've done our best to recreate our Hawaiian lifestyle here in the Finger Lakes, and I think we've come pretty close. We are also both musicians, and hope to be able to devote more time to our music now that we're retired. We'll see about that.
We feel incredibly fortunate to be living in this very special place on the planet. We hope our guests can take inspiration from the natural beauty, tranquility and magic of Owl Moon Cottage.
Joanna and Art
* If you've read this far and you're still interested: I worked in the field of sustainable agriculture and community food systems at Cornell University for 25 years before founding the non-profit Groundswell Center for Local Food & Farming here in Ithaca. Art was the first General Manager of our local food co-op, GreenStar Cooperative Market, human resources manager with local clothing company Angelheart Designs, and business manager for local green-building firm Taitem Engineering - "Technology As If The Earth Mattered."