The home is a one-hundred year old adobe farmhouse in the Upper Canyon Neighborhood - one mile to restaurants and galleries on Canyon Rd. It has been beautifully restored and includes an open modern kitchen and custom woodwork throughout. It is sunny and open, with a lofted ceiling and three sets of French doors opening to patios and gardens.
The peaceful property has large gardens with 12 mature fruit trees, an old-world acequia, and two outdoor sitting areas for garden dining.
• 3 bedrooms: 1 upstairs with queen bed and views of the valley and hills; 1 upstairs double with shoji doors and beautiful views; 1 ground floor with queen bed and French doors opening to back garden. All beds have brand new bedding and the queen beds have 500 count linens and goose down comforters.
• 2 bathrooms: 1 recently remodeled with sunken stone shower on ground floor and 1 full bath upstairs with beautiful views. Both have amenities including shampoo, conditioner, soap, towels, etc.
• Kitchen: large and open with fireplace and a central island with granite counters, Viking range and oven, dishwasher, and full fridge. All new white Scandinavian plates, bowls, utensils, and knives. Keurig coffee maker, toaster, microwave and many cabinets and pantry for storage of food and snacks.
• Dining room with table and chairs in a lovely sun room adjacent to the garden.
• Living room with built-in lounge beds, three comfy reading chairs, and a cozy woodstove.
• Open family area as part of kitchen with couch and leather Eames chair with flat-screen TV and Netflix. We do not provide cable television.
• Washer and dryer.
• Purified drinking water.
• 2 car driveway (no garage).
• Beautiful gardens with two sitting areas perfect for enjoying breakfast, lunch or dinner.
• The property has mature raspberries bushes and cherry, peach, apricot, apple, and pear trees - some of which are descendants from the fruit trees imported to New Mexico by Bishop Lamy in the 1800s.
• The property also has a functional acequia, a small stream thru the backyard, which has been part of the valley's irrigation system for several hundred years.
And if you need more space there is a guest house on the property with a queen bed and 2 single beds. There is an additional fee of $75/night if you would like to use the guest house.
The property is located along the hills of the Santa Fe River Valley and consequently there are stairs leading to the main house (22 steps) and to the lower back yard areas. The stairs in the house and to the backyard are a bit steep.
Our home is located in the Santa Fe River Valley, and although it is only 1 mile from Canyon Road galleries and restaurants, it has a very rural feel. The cell phone coverage in the valley and at our home is often limited or not available, and it is dependent on the cellphone company. We do have a landline with an Ooma phone, which can make local and national calls. We do have a small guest house (casita) on the property, which also is available to rent and can sleep up to 4 people.
Our home is good for couples, solo adventurers, business travelers, and families with kids.
We have lived in New Mexico since the early 1990s and have worked as physicians on many of the Native American Reservations. We are currently posted in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and doing public health and clinical work.
Our two children attend the International Community School. We love the outdoors, backpacking, biking, reading and traveling.