Welcome to The Merlot Cottage, a renovated & modernized cottage on Four Mile Creek in Virgil. The large back porch really feels like you are up north at a cabin! The home is within walking distance to a bakery, coffee shop, breakfast spot, antique store, a brewery& more! A 5-10 min drive & you are in the heart of the old town of NOTL. Enjoy being surrounded by wineries, vineyards& orchards. The home is a great gathering spot to unwind after a great day visiting Niagara. Pets & children welcome!
The cottage has ample parking, a wooded ravine backdrop, and has been completely renovated in 2016. Approximately 1100sqft of usable space. Enjoy the serene large deck and BBQ off the back, watch the cars from the front patio and listen to the birds and the creek out back. The space is within walking distance to some great food, a bakery, brewery, and more!
*Please note in the summer the road can be quite busy for a small town!
*Also please be sure to view the photos of the stairs going upstairs, they are short steps making them feel steep and require some manuevring at the top level
Guests have access to the entire home. The top floor has 2 bedrooms and one bathroom. The main floor has one bedroom and one bathroom, a kitchen, living room, and dining room. The basement is finished. The front has a porch and the back has a deck and there is parking for multiple cars.
Infrequently I meet my guests when I have things to bring to the space. My guest manager Erica is always accessible by messenger or phone, and our assistant Grace lives very close and she tends to meet the guests for most of their needs. We like to stay connected to help with any referrals or suggestions but we are happy to offer privacy as well. Guests may run into Tim who takes care of the grounds and the garbages.
Because of the ravine and wooded area there are lots of bugs! Be prepared. Bug spray and fly swatters are provided. If you keep the door closed mostly at night less will make their way inside!
Many things in NOTL close by 6pm so be sure to check the hours of places you may want or need to come back to.
The stairs are very steep and open at the top- please take extra caution with children and pets! (and wine)..
The road can be very busy in the summer months (well, busy for a small town). They call it the Four Corners. You may even be stuck in a line up due to the trafic light to get into the driveway :(
Please be aware that in the busy summer and fall months we cannot accomodate early check in or late check out, we are sorry!
- There is one camera on the exterior of the house to monitor for break-ins, animals, and any other unwanted visitors, this may also be viewed to ensure proper guest numbers as per your booking so please keep us informed of your numbers
- No guests allowed on the property beyond those booked without prior approval through Erica and/or Bryan
- No noise after 11 pm as per city by-law
- No smoking inside the house, allowed on the decks and anywhere outside
- Please use ash trays provided for proper cigarette disposal
- No bonfires permitted according to the town by-laws
- The basement rooms are NOT firesafe (the windows are too small), use at your own risk!