This beautifully appointed 7 bedroom, 5 bathroom historic property is conveniently located just minutes from downtown, and much more... It is a refuge from the normality of our everyday lives, a place to work and relax with friends. Prepare yourself and your group for the full monty of VIP amenities; our swimming pool, just off of the front steps of the home, is ready to host you and your family and friends for a poolside barbecue in the sunshine.
Old Hollywood meets Old West Austin.
In 1927, the Ferguson's built this home, “The Windsor House”, for $8,500. This home played host to some of the most significant dignitaries of Texas political culture, both visibly and from behind the curtains. Whether it was Ladybird Johnson stopping by for tea with Miriam to garnish her endorsement for Lyndon when he was running for senate, or Ann Richards dropping by to say “Hello” to her friend Miriam “Ma” Ferguson. The home silently became the nucleus of the Ferguson’s poetic political culture, known as “Fergusonism”, and many of Austin’s most prominent political families would join the Ferguson’s for their private parties in the walls of their “Windsor house”, aptly named by its location and prominent corner on the edges of Austin’s historic Pemberton Heights facing downtown and the capital.
In 2015 we, a group of local Austinites, purchased the Ferguson estate to restore the Ferguson home to its original grandeur. Knowing the history of the Ferguson home and Miriam Ferguson’s connectivity with the community as a whole, the Windsor House was furnished and started its third life as a home again; this time, available to the public to enjoy.
The Windsor House is where Old West Austin meets her cousin "Old Hollywood" for a weekend of poolside conversation and cocktails. Take calls from your balcony in flip flops and a robe with some of the best views of downtown. This is where the makers create, connect, and come home to. Ideas, inspiration, new family & friends are found here. Come here when you’re looking for a fresh start, need a place of solace to write a song, or to enjoy a congregation of friends and family for a special day together. This home is an embodiment of the Austin culture and panache, re-born by true Austinites, and an inspired by the life and goodwill of “Ma” Ferguson. It is a refuge from the normality of our everyday lives, a place to work and relax with friends. Upon arrival at The Windsor House, your group can enjoy the tastefully selected decor, all hand-picked by Austin’s renowned interior designer Joel Mozersky. Prepare yourself and your group for the full monty of VIP amenities; our swimming pool, just off of the front steps of the home, is ready to host you and your family and friends for a poolside barbecue in the sunshine.
Miriam “Ma” Ferguson, the first female Governess of the State of Texas, built what would be her longest-tenured and final home here atop the hill on the corner of Windsor and Enfield Road in 1927. Following her second term as Governor, Miriam moved from the Governors Mansion straight into this home, where she lived until her death in 1961. The spirit of “Ma” still fills her home with positive energy, and during the restoration her oversight and approval for the restoration were felt by all of our family of contractors. We pay homage to her positive energy and influence by returning her home to her, to allow her even in death to play host to visiting families, friends, influencers and newcomers. Whether you join “Ma” in the rose garden for some pastries and a mint julep or host a dinner for you and friends in the house, the spirit of “Ma” will assure your stay to be fully refreshing, rejuvenating, and memorable.
Please Note: CITY OCCUPANCY TAX HAS "NOT" BEEN ADDED TO TOTAL AMOUNT - THE OCCUPANCY TAX IS 15% ADDED ON TOTAL AMOUNT*
House Rules of the Agreement:
1. INSPECTION & VIOLATION: The Broker has the right to inspect the premises without prior notice at any time to enforce the terms of this agreement. Should the Licensee violate any of the terms of this agreement, the license period shall be terminated immediately. The Licensee waives all rights to process if they fail to vacate the premises upon termination of the license period. The Licensee shall vacate the premises at the expiration time and date of this agreement.
2. TELEPHONE: Most properties do NOT provide a land line telephone. Should there be a phone provided there is a long distance block on the telephone - a calling card is needed for long distance toll calls. Emergency medical and police service can be called by dialing 911.
3. PREMISES: The Licensee shall maintain the premises in a good, clean, and ready to use condition, and use the premises only in a careful and lawful manner. The Licensee shall leave the premises in the same condition as provided at the expiration of the license agreement, defined by the Broker as being immediately habitable by the next Licensee, save and except basic housekeeping such as dirty dishes, laundry, bedding and other general housekeeping. Licensee shall pay for maintenance and repairs should the premises be left in a lesser condition. The Licensee agree that the Broker shall deduct costs of said services from the Security/Damage Deposit prior to refund if Licensee cause damage to the premises or its furnishings.
4. TRASH: The Licensee shall dispose of all waste material generated during the license period in a lawful manner. Licensee/Guests are cautioned not to leave trash outside for long periods of time because it attracts animals.
5. DAMAGE: The Licensee shall pay for any damage done to the premises over and above normal wear and tear.
6. PETS: No animals or pets of any kind will be brought onto the premises without prior written permission.
7. SUBLETTING: The Licensee shall not sublet the property.
8. GUESTS: The Licensee shall have no more than the agreed on amount of persons reside or sleep on the premises.
9. QUIET HOURS: The Licensee shall behave in a civilized manner and shall be good neighbors respecting the rights of the surrounding property owners. The Licensee shall not create noise or disturbances likely to disturb or annoy the surrounding property owners. Creating a disturbance of the above nature shall be grounds for immediate termination of this agreement and Licensee shall then immediately vacate the premises. Quiet hours start are from 10:00 PM to 7:00 AM and outdoor areas are NOT available for use during those times.
10. NO SMOKING: There shall be no smoking inside the premises. Unless otherwise notified in writing, smoking is permitted outside the home with doors and windows completely shut. Cigarette butts must be picked up and disposed of properly prior to expiration time and date of this agreement. All smoking rules include e-cigarettes.
11. AMENITIES: Homeowner will provide towels, linens, toilet paper, hand soap, dish detergent, cups, knives, forks, spoons, dishes, and other items as commonly used by the Homeowner. Shampoos, conditioner, bath soap and other consumables are to be purchased by the Guest. No reimbursement will be made for unused consumables left at the premises. If consumables exist at the premises when the Guest arrives the Guest is free to use them. Towels are never permitted to be taken from the house. Food in the refrigerator is available for use by the Guest, however, alcohol, wine, freezer items, pantry items, are not for the use of the Guest unless specifically indicated in writing by the Homeowner.
12. RESPONSIBILITY: The Licensee and Licensee' Guests shall hereby indemnify and hold harmless the Broker against any and all claims of personal injury or property damage or loss arising from use of the premises regardless of the nature of the accident, injury or loss. Licensee expressly recognize that any insurance for property damage or loss which the Broker may maintain on the property does not cover the personal property of Licensee, and that Licensee should purchase their own insurance for Licensee and Guests if such coverage is desired.
13. DEPOSIT: License Deposit amount is fully refundable per the terms stated in this agreement.
14. TRANSIENT USE: Licensee expressly acknowledges and agrees that this Agreement is for transient occupancy of the Property, and that Licensee has no right, claim or intent to the Property as a residence or household.
15. OUTAGES: We occasionally experience water, power and wastewater outages that are beyond our control. We report outages as each occurs. No refunds or compensation will be given for any outages.
16. WEATHER: There shall be no refunds of Use Fees because of shortened stays or ruined expectations due to weather conditions.
17. EMERGENCIES: There shall be no refunds of Use Fees because of shortened stays or ruined expectations due to work, family or other emergencies or other commitments.
18. POOL (IF APPLICABLE): It is the Guests responsibility to learn about safety precautions, warning signs of water conditions, and safety procedures concerning swimming in or being around the swimming pool, hot tub or lake. Guests agrees to have a responsible adult supervising minors while they swim in the pool. Guest is hereby notified that the pool can be dangerous and Guest accepts fully the risks involved. Guest is further notified to be cautious when using the outdoor areas of the Property as the pool may be open and in close proximity and can be a hazard. There may not be a barrier to prevent a fall into the pool. Pool may or may not be heated. Unless approved in writing and paid for in advance, Guests may NOT heat the pool at any time. Failure to comply will result in a $500 fee.
19. FIREARMS: Only legally owned and permitted firearms shall be allowed on the premises according to State and local laws.
20. HAZARDOUS MATERIALS: Guest agrees that Fireworks and other hazardous materials shall not be used in or around the property.
21. ILLEGAL ACTIVITY: Guest shall use the property for legal purposes only and other use, such as but not limited to, illegal drug use, abuse of any person, harboring fugitives, etc.; shall cause termination of this agreement with no refund of Use Fees or Deposits.
22. PRIVATE AREAS: Guest agrees not to access the “owner’s closet” or any other areas marked “private”, even if unlocked, which contains the Homeowner’s property as well as cleaning supplies and chemicals that could be hazardous to children and adults.
23. GAS: Guest is advised that the property may contain a gas stove and cook top, gas heating, gas grill, and other gas powered items and Guest will seek help from management if the proper operation of such items is not fully understood. If propane tanks are provided, Guests are free to use.
24. FIRE EXTINGUISHER: The property has a fire extinguisher. The fire extinguisher was fully charged at last inspection. It is the duty of the Guest to inform management immediately should the fire extinguisher become less than fully charged. Guest agrees to use the fire extinguisher only for true emergencies.
25. FIRE ALARMS: The property has fire alarms or smoke detectors installed and they are believed to function properly at the time of license. Guest will notify management without delay if a fire alarm or smoke detector “chirps” or has a low battery condition.
26. CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTOR: Guest is advised that there may be no carbon monoxide detector on the property and accepts the risk involved in not having one.
27. SECURITY: Guest shall see to their own security while in the property by locking doors, windows, garage doors, etc. when it is prudent to do so. Further, Guest agrees to lock all doors and windows when no Guests are on premises.
28. GUEST ITEMS LEFT BEHIND: Valuable items left behind by Guest will be held for the Guest and every reasonable effort will be made to contact the Guest for return. Any expenses with the return of Guest’s items shall be deducted from the Security/Damage Deposit. If items are not claimed for longer than 6 months they shall become the property of the Broker. The Broker shall not be held liable for condition of said items.
29. CABLE: Cable TV, if provided, has been chosen by the Broker. No refund of Use Fees shall be given for outages, content, lack of content, or personal preferences with regard to cable TV service.
30. INTERNET: High speed wireless internet may be provided as a convenience only and is not integral to the agreement. No refund of Use Fees shall be given for outages, content, lack of content, speed, access problems, lack of knowledge of use, or personal preferences with regard to internet service.
31. HAIR DRYER: Property may or may not include a hair dryer.
32. PARKING PASSES: Damaged parking cards or passes (if provided) will incur a per card replacement fee of $200.00. Parking or driving on the grass or in the yard is never allowed. Please be courteous to the neighbors.
33. PARTIES & GATHERINGS: No gatherings or parties without written agreement, specific arrangements and proof of separate insurance. A gathering party is defined as more than one additional person on the Property for EVERY TWO (2) approved Nightly Guests. Any gathering or party without prior written consent will result in immediate termination of Agreement, eviction from the Property and forfeiture of Security/Damage Deposit and full Use Fee.
34. COMMERCIAL USE: No commercial use of the Property without written agreement, specific arrangements and proof of separate insurance.
35. SPILLS: Licensee and all Guests shall properly and immediately clean up spills on the property, furnishings or floors.
36. REPORTING DAMAGES: Licensee is responsible for reporting anything broken, damaged, disabled or not in working condition immediately to Governor’s Mansion LLC. Do not wait until check-out to inform as this may result in the item or items being deducted from the Damage/Security Deposit.
37. MAKE-UP REMOVAL: Licensee shall not use wash cloths or towels for makeup removal.
38. LANDSCAPING: Licensee is responsible for all damage to landscaping or exterior premises that occur during the Term of the Agreement.
39. KEYS: Licensee is responsible for any keys provided to property and shall return all keys to the lock box, Governor’s Mansion LLC or as otherwise instructed in writing. If a key is lost the Licensee will incur a $500 re-key charge.
40. FIREPLACE: Paper or other combustible items should never be placed in any fireplace.
41. RATES SUBJECT TO CHANGE: The Use Fee is not confirmed and is subject to change until the Agreement is fully executed by all parties.