1) In early 2017 Vessel Cortina was the only vessel capable and willing on short notice to engage in a search for a missing vessel 100 miles off of Bermuda. This was an extenuating circumstance - and not something we have ever had to do before. Thus we contacted Jenna well ahead of time just incase, and made sure she had a place to stay with us when she landed, offered her a FREE upgrade, and even discounted the rate she already had. This search for missing vessel was quite the unexpected experience, and a story of adventure and stormy nights at sea, that is now a story we tell to guests aboard the Cortina at night, when safely at port with a warm beverage in hand.
2) The crew quarters consists of 2 small bunks, a tiny space and is quite basic - people book it because it is inexpensive by Bermuda standards - but it is NOT well suited for 2 lady travelers. In such cases we would rather give someone a deal on the larger 2 bedroomand know they are comfortable - or as in this case offered a FREE upgrade to the VIP. In fact every guests who has booked the crew quarters in past months, including a guest at the time of this writing have been given FREE upgrades so they would be more comfortable. It gives them a better experience and night’s rest, and we are happy to do so whenever possible.
3) We pre-emptively contacted Jenna given the search for vessel - when we were later grounded by severe winter weather we offered for her to stay additional days for FREE in the larger room we had already upgraded her to for FREE. Never was Jenna sent an air bnb ‘change request’ for a more expensive room - she was simply offered it for - here is that word again - free...
4) As in our detailed writeup on how to get to us from airport, ferry service, location etc. - we request as a primary means of communication a text message or phone call if one wishes, so that we can meet up, give guests and introduction, assist with bags, and give them a set of keys. A $0.75 international text message or two, is a cheap cost to make this process seamless, and not waste a guest’s time so they can get on vacationing! For the odd guest over the years who does not have a phone, they have managed to call from Taxi, or e.g. text from coffee shop at the ferry for example.
5) As stated in our listing, we are a fully functioning yacht. That means, approximately every 10 years an engine requires being rebuilt. As it happens, and as we were preparing to go out on a search offshore in bad weather - we were doing major engine maintenance. This did not affect the forward living areas of the vessel where Jenna was accommodated, nor the living room, nor the galley. As we are a fully functioning vessel, and this is why many choose to stay with us - other guests found the tour of the engine room and the goings on quite fascinating. We are sorry that this happening in a completely separate area of the vessel for first time in 10 year, working not while she was present, was of bother to her - especially when her stay was the absolute cheapest that we have ever offered. Given the circumstances, we did the best we could for her at the time.
Our reviews from other guests, over the course of over 3 years speak for themselves.