Get a feeling of Hikkaduwas authentic villages. Enjoy a unique holiday home which is built to resemble a "tree which is cut" , a tree trunk.
You have a garden and no sounds of loud music from the beach will disturb you. But only the birds.
If you are a sort of person, who loves to spend some time a way from the busy Beach of Hikkaduwa.
This is the perfect place for you. You can always go to the crowded beach and then retreat back to this isolated home.
You have your own space and a huge garden where you can relax. There are two out door beds, one in the garden and the other one on the roof top. You can spend your day reading a book and enjoying some music.
Sleeping floor is an open Space, the beds resembles two lotus leaves which are standing in the middle of the room.
The whole house has two floors which is spread over 200sqm.
First it was only an idea to have a small hut for myself by the lagoon to chill out, after having too much from the crowded beach life.
But then it all developed in to a "Tree House" which looks like a "Tree Trunk" half cut off.
Now its called "The Ruuk" , the name was chosen after friends on (website hidden) voted for this name.
The Ruuk has a ground floor which includes the Bar, Pantry, attached bathroom and a Lounge where you can chill out.
First floor is considered to be the Sleeping chamber with two lotus leaves serving as two double Beds placed right in the middle of the floor. Both leaves provide two levels (elevated) of Beds. The floor also has its own Bath/WC, which is also airconditioned.
Roof top is a perfect place to hang out by the sunset and even at sunrise.
It would take around 10-15mins walking to the beach.
If you enjoyed seeing the architecture of Barcelona famous architect then you are sure to enjoy this unique creation by the lagoon in Sri Lanka.
- Hot water in both Bathrooms
- Air conditioned sleeping Floor for 4 guests ( Strictly non smoking area ), Extra charged if you use AC.
- If the booking is above 10 nights, airport pickup (one way) is included.
- For shorter stay an airport pickup can be organized at a cost of 65US $.
- Transport to Hikkaduwa city and back for the first two nights included, drop off in to the city center and a pickup. This would allow you to familiarize with the possibility of getting around in Hikkaduwa.
- Laundry can be arranged (extra charges apply)
- On request round trips to Sigiriya, Dabulla, Ella, Kandy etc can be arranged (Extra charges apply)
- Hikkaduwa has always been an area where tourists came even during the war in Sri lanka which lasted around 25 years, which ended in 2009.
- Over the last years it has been the magnet for lots of tourists who come to the island to relax and enjoy the sun and the beach.
- I used to spend my school holidays at the beach too, since my cousin lives there. "Drunken Monkey Bar" and "International Beach Hotel" is run by my cousin, and if you drop in for a drink or a meal, you will love the place.
- The Ruuk is about one Km away from the beach and is hidden in the lagoon area of a neighboring village ( Dodanduwa).
The garden is about 1500Sqm and the direct surrounding is frequented by wild animals. You will enjoy waking up to the birds sounds.
Bach access, It will take you about 10 - 15mins walk to reach the beach of Dodanduwa.
If you wish to get to the main beach, where most of the surfers hang around, where most of the cafes and restaurants are located, you can get in to a TukTuk from the main road. Its about 2Km away from "The Ruuk". The charge should not be more than 250 Sri Lankan rupees ( 2US$).
When ever you need to talk to me personally, you can inform my caretaker. I will then make arrangements to talk to you. Or you can always send me a SMS and I will call you back.
Close to "The Ruuk" there is a boat stop where you can hire a local boat to get around the lagoon. At a reasonable price you can discover the lagoon area ( Buddhist temple,mangroves).
During full moon days, there are also boat rides in the lagoon what you can book, ask my care taker for more details.
- In case you are looking for a loads of action where there are cafes and bars right in front of the entrance, then this is the wrong place to be.
- Use of AC can be decided when you are on site, if you decide to use this service an extra charge of 10€ per day will be charged.
- The price is for a Double occupancy, each extra occupancy needs to be communicated prior to their arrival
- The cabana can be also rented on a flat rate for longer stays.
- Longer stays needs to inform when the house needs to be cleaned. In order to respect the privacy this is only agree on prior notice.
- Laundry can be done , extra charges would apply. Talk to the caretaker family to inform yourself of the charges and how long it would take.
- NO SMOKING in sleeping area. Please respect this house rule!
- take care when you use kitchen utensils like "non stick" pans.
- Close all doors and gates when you leave premises for Lunch or dinner.
- Keep the main gate closed at all times to avoid cows coming in to the garden, this will save the garden.
- 1GB of Internet data is included in the rent of the house. If you use more than 1GB you will need to reload an internet Data package at a local shop. Care taker will support you.
- Switch off AC when you leave sleeping area in the morning. This will help to save energy.
- Avoid using towels of "The Ruuk" for the beach. You can purchase beach clothes for a moderate price.
- Love water
- Love mountains
- Love snow and the sun
- Full of new ideas and looking forward to travel.
Good service and quality does not cost a world, its all about your mind set. And to prove this statement I hope I get a chance to host you at one of my projects in Sri Lanka ( Hikkaduwa & Kalpitiya).
I love to have a chance to show travelers coming to Sri Lanka something different to the ordinary. Would love to give tips for your travel route and enjoy promoting this small island in the indian ocean to any one who wishes to experience a different culture with a rich history.
Telecommunication engineer by profession but a passionate hospitality oriented person.